DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc)

NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc) Installation and upgrading of packages on NetBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default pkgsrc build time excessive!

Hello,

Building from source, pkgsrc is taking an extremely long time to compile. To be certain, I haven't yet compiled outside of pkgsrc - so I don't know if it is just plain slow compiling. It is taking probably 10x longer than I expect it to compile. For instance:

Checking for cc .... (wait two seconds) yes
Checking for whatever ... (wait three seconds) yes
Checking for this ... (wait two seconds) yes

Instead of having all this in about two seconds:

Checking for cc ... yes
Checking for whatever ... yes
Checking for this ... yes
Checking for that ... no
Checking for whoknows ... yes
Checking for whatnot ... yes
Checking for theotherthing ... yes
Checking for idontknow ... no
etc.

You get the point. Also, when compiling, it takes upwards of several minutes for a page of hieroglyphics to scroll across the screen instead of several screens of such every second or two (I am speaking of my experience of compiling on Linux, where it is that fast).

I only have my processor going 50% - AMD dual core with GENERIC (can't get GENERIC.MP to boot reliably) - but still, this is ridiculous. It took over 4 hours to compile the korn shell!!!
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2008
Arp Constable

compile time various both on hardware and task, e.g. my P3 compiles slower then my PD but a hard target still takes longer then a simple program to compile.

When compiling from source, the commands you see echo'd out are generated through programs outputs and through commands in the Makefile being run. Not the actual progress of things happening.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Hello,

I set up a new NetBSD partition (actually recycled a FreeBSD partition I haven't used in over a year) and installed the GENERIC.MP on it. After waiting to get the machine to boot (I get it to boot > 25% of the time with that kernel) I tried compiling both from source and through pkgsrc. The difference is telling!! It is as fast compiling with the multiprocessor kernel as with my usual Linux (Slackware) experience (actually faster!).

Example: With GENERIC kernel, tcsh takes the better part of an hour to compile through pkgsrc. With GENERIC.MP kernel, that same compilation takes less than 2 minutes! I am not kidding!!!

My task now is to try and get the MP kernel more reliable - maybe I'll try and compile my own kernel. This is food for another thread in a different sub-forum here, though. See this thread.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)

Last edited by JMJ_coder; 7th June 2008 at 08:16 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th June 2008
New User

Have you tried adding MAKE_JOBS=2
to your "/etc/mk.conf " ?

This always help me speed things up

Last edited by Bitweiler; 20th June 2008 at 03:22 AM. Reason: error correction