DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Default RAID0 speed?

do you think RAID0 would increase read/write speed on my box:

ad4: 238475MB <WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0 02.01C03> at ata2-master SATA150
and?
ad0: 152627MB <SAMSUNG SP1604N TM100-30> at ata0-master UDMA33

ad4 is connected on sata150 (250GB)
while ad0 is connected on IDE (160GB)

I was reading wiki:
Quote:
RAID 0 (striped disks) distributes data across several disks in a way that gives improved speed and full capacity, but all data on all disks will be lost if any one disk fails.
and, i wanted to know:
Is it meant that HDD completely fails (and you can throw it out), or
fails after some reboot, when on non-raid disk you can use fsck to fix?

Would you recommend me using raid?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I wouldn't, simply because you'll lose a large amount of the capacity of ad4 if you use RAID-0.

And while I don't use geom (I have a hardware IDE RAID-5 card I do use), I would imagine the difference in I/O between your IDE drive and SATA drive could either cause problems, or negate any performance increase you might be looking for. That's just me theorizing, I don't actually know. (I'm also assuming geom allows RAID sets to be built from disks on different types of interfaces!)

I'm not sure I understand the last question - if one of your drives fails in a RAID-0 you lose your data, yes... but I'm not sure what else you are asking about?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Should bough disk be same size?

My mother board supports RAID0/1
it also support combining ATA and SATA in raid (some kind of enhanced raid)

also using software raid you can make raid of partitions....
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Unless something has changed that I don't know about, yes, you would probably want to use disks of the same size. I don't believe you HAVE to, but the useable space on each disk would be that of the smallest disk. So, in your case you could only use 160GB of your SATA drive, giving you a total of 320GB in the RAID set.

That's cool that your motherboard will allow you to mix the interface types to create a RAID set. You can tell how long it's been since I've purchased a new PC motherboard... sigh.

Ah, well, like I said, I haven't used software RAID. My box at home does have a hardware RAID, but that's it.

I'd be curious what others' opinions are on this, too.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruco View Post
That's cool that your motherboard will allow you to mix the interface types to create a RAID set. You can tell how long it's been since I've purchased a new PC motherboard... sigh.
My box is about 4-5 years old
Motherboard: Abit AS-8
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Well, then, you see what I mean! I do actually have one PC at home that's pretty new, but I got it pre-built and I'm only doing RAID with SATA drives on that one (RAID-0, in fact!). So I was not aware of the mixing of disk types that could be done. Pretty cool.

(Edited to add - that's a Windows box, which is why I didn't mention it before. I'm doing IDE RAID-5 with a Highpoint card on my FreeBSD box at home.)
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
Risen from the ashes

You don't want to run RAID0, period, unless you have a super-stringent, continuously running, backup setup. If any 1 disk in a RAID0 array dies, you lose all data in the array.

The only time you should use RAID0 is when it's part of a RAID1+RAID0 (aka RAID1+0, or RAID10). But, that requires 4 drives as a minimum.

You also don't want to create RAID arrays using different sized or different speed of drives. It's possible to do, but will impact throughput for any data stored on the slower drives/interfaces.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Well put, phoenix. Sort of what I was trying to say, but yours was a much clearer and concise post!

The reason I run RAID-0 on that Windows box is because I want speed, speed, speed, and have absolutely no important data on it. The important data is, of course, on the FreeBSD box with RAID-5!