DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th March 2011
New User

Default Running Symantec Netbackup under OpenBSD

Has anyone been able to successfully run Symantec (originally Veritas) Netbackup under OpenBSD 4.8? My campus has standardized on in for enterprise backup and I would like to be able to use it to backup my OpenBSD servers. Unfortunately there is not a native OpenBSD client, so I have to try to run either the FreeBSD or Linux binaries.

The FreeBSD client seems requires at least FreeBSD 5, so the OpenBSD emulation layer doesn't quite work as it's missing some required system calls. The Linux client seems to be running into SELinux issues. So I haven't had much luck.

I was hoping someone has been able to make it work and could give me some hints. Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th March 2011
Banned

Unfortunately binary emulation isn't a large priority for developers these days, you'll likely have to get your hands dirty and try improving it yourself.

A little digging seems to indicate it implements the NDMP protocol, however, I may be wrong.

Perhaps the following will work?
http://www.ndmp.org/download/ndmpcopy/index.shtml
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th March 2011
New User

Thanks for the tip about NDMP BSDfan666. I hadn't heard of it before. Netbackup docs say it supportss NDMP and there are several NDMP servers in SourceForge. So it looks like that might do the trick.

I'll talk to my local Netbackup admins next week and give it a shot. I'll post again with the results in case others are in the same boat.