DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Security

FreeBSD Security Securing FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2008
Port Guard

Default Web content filtering

First off sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

The company I work for is looking for something that will block certain websites such as facebook and myspace amongst various gaming sites. I have a FreeBSd system running dansguardian with an extensive blacklist set up. I haven't yet put it into production but am thinking about it.

I know there are guys out here that are IT people for companies and just curious as to what they have used, or might use with FreeBSD to block out certain sites and what comp specs it ran on as well as how many users it controled?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2008
Banned

Why not block them directly at router level?

Most larger companies lease IP ranges.. Facebook and Myspace are no exception.

Code:
NetRange: 204.15.20.0 - 204.15.23.255 
CIDR: 204.15.20.0/22 
NetName: TFBNET1

NetRange: 69.63.176.0 - 69.63.191.255 
CIDR: 69.63.176.0/20 
NetName: TFBNET2

NetRange: 204.16.32.0 - 204.16.35.255 
CIDR: 204.16.32.0/22 
NetName: MYSPA-1

NetRange: 216.178.32.0 - 216.178.47.255 
CIDR: 216.178.32.0/20 
NetName: MYSPA-2

NetRange: 63.135.80.0 - 63.135.95.255 
CIDR: 63.135.80.0/20 
NetName: MYSPA-3
That's all I can find, there might be more.. but who knows.. unfettered access can always be achieved via tunnelling or by proxy.

Kinda makes filtering rather pointless.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2008
Port Guard

I fured if i was going to block stuff like facebook and myspace i might as well block gaming sites and well any other site that has nothing to do with work. We have employee's abuse the internet access to much and our mechanics depend on it to be able to fix vehicles since G.M has pretty much moved everything to online access.

Having looked into some stuff I have to decide if the machine I have up and running dansguardian with a blacklist is going to be enough for the 40 to 50 users we have. The system specs are a P3 1.4Ghz with 1.5GB RAM with just over 9 GB's used on a 80GB drive
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2008
Administrator

With squid you can block sites/domain with acl's (Access Control Lists).
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd December 2008
Banned

I still say filtering isn't always enough of a deterrent, informing employees about the rules and possible punishments for disobeying them (i.e: termination.).. is.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypt View Post
Having looked into some stuff I have to decide if the machine I have up and running dansguardian with a blacklist is going to be enough for the 40 to 50 users we have. The system specs are a P3 1.4Ghz with 1.5GB RAM with just over 9 GB's used on a 80GB drive
Squid and DansGuardian love RAM. The more RAM you can put into the system, the less the system will be noticed by the end-users. DansGuardian also loves CPU. The more CPU power (cores, processors, GHz) you can put into the box, the better.

For 50 users, you should be able to get away with just 1.5 GB of RAM. Personally, I'd try to get that as close to 4 GB (max on 32-bit systems) as possible. Then you can give 2 GB to Squid's memory cache, and leave the rest for DansGuardian to use.

Be sure to put in packet filtering rules that by-pass squid/dansguardian for the really important websites, like the ones the mechanics use. Unless these are static websites, you don't need to cache them.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I'm using opendns to filter loads of sites and then I've got squid running that is bypassing opendns for the few that doesn't need blocking like the bosses, it works pretty good.
The only problem I have with it is that you either block stuff for every one or not at all.

It would be nice of them to implement a system where you can block sites on a per host or local network manner. I do believe that it might actually happen one day.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2008
Port Guard

I should explain the way our network is set up. GM controls the router as well as the domain controller which acts as our DNS server as well. If we set the PC's to use something other then that DNS server employees are no longer able to log into the domain or access some of the sites GM provides us to use. It won't be till about 2010 when GM relinquies control of the router in which case I will have to provide a suitable replacement for it. Till then, I have to come up with another way of filtering the sites that people go to. When I started to do this a couple years ago, and then was stopped by management, I had read about squid and dansguardian. I set it up on a system that well really isn't doing anything else and it was only going to effect a smaller amount of users. We have a total of 35 users. 12 with direct acces to PC's, the rest using dump terminals to access one of two terminal servers. I know it's sounds like a strange set up and well it is, but I have to work with what I have. I agree that once I am able to control the router or firewall I no longer will need dansguardian.

Phoenix, I'll have to look into the pcket filtering rules so that I do not stop any sites that are actually needed. Thanks for that.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th December 2008
Vorbote

For what you describe, what you need is a filtering bridge. That's a firewall design that filters on level 2 (ethernet, token ring, whatever) and you can drop between the router and your network. No one will notice it is there until they want to browse a forbidden site.

For the lazy: pfSense makes a great filtering bridge when properly set up (and it is a matter of three clicks...).
Old 8th December 2008
Port Guard

well so far the system has been up and running for a couple of days and the only thing people have complained abot is not being able to access certain websites. It's funny to see how many co-workers have facebook and how they are pissed they can no longer get there.
Old 8th December 2008
Administrator

Just curious. Which system did you implement?
Port Guard

squid with dansguardian and a blacklist set from urlblacklist
Old 13th December 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Just looking through this, out of curiosity, is there a way to block all and only "allow" specified access? Seems that would be easier and would squash or at least dampen the ability to use proxy
Old 13th December 2008
Risen from the ashes

DansGuardian has a blanket block feature (** in bannedsitelist), and then you list the sites you want to allow access to in the exceptiositelist.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
Old 14th December 2008
Port Guard

yup. I have a bunch of sites listed in the exceptionsitelist that people want access to. Since it was put into place I have been asked by some people to unban sites like TSN, rogers.com, facebook, myspace, a couple of gaming sites, nascar...there were a few others that i was asked to remove. I told them that if it is not work related that it wasnn't going to get done. Now, the only changes I have had to make was take the mechanics computers off the proxy since it was causing havoc with an application they need to use to program cars, so it looks like the shop won't be protected for the time being. Also had to set it up a little differently int eh parts department since the program we use to look up parts using IE and if it is set to use the proxy, it won't redirect it back to the pc where the files it needs are located.