DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Old 22nd June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I note this morning that the DNS entry for bsdforums.org has been yanked.
One can only guess that the Admin there didn't want to be charged for another month of hosting given the site's infested state.

Given that the domains are still registered (some expire in another year...), it is not inconceivable that BSDForums may arise again, but this would require the Admin to actually do something...

Maybe he won't lose the passwords next time...
Old 22nd June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
"Admin"'s two DNS servers are both down.
BSDForums appears to be back up. dig(1) is resolving the domain name(s) back to IP addresses again. Apparently, more "maintenance" has been taking place...
Old 22nd June 2008
More noise than signal

There hasn't been any maintenance of the forum itself; weiwei is still urinating all over it.

(pun intended)
Old 22nd June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
(pun intended)

I miss James. James was cool. James was interested in the longevity of our souls...
Old 22nd June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Well, weiwei has posted so much, they're now a package ape. That's just wrong.
Sigh.
Old 22nd June 2008
Tcpdump Spy

weiwei is pretty annoting, rather than starting new threads, he responds to existing (valid) threads...
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
I have been very vocal on that matter, but I don't see the relevance of FreeBSD on the desktop anymore. Alas I'm not even able to persuade my wife or sister anymore. There is the lack of Flash, the so-so Wine port (there are some applications which don't run in FreeBSD wine as supposed), problems with some default devices (like mice, keyboards) and so on. It's my desktop, it's the desktop for many people who can cope with it, but it's far from the desktop for the 'masses'. But there is Linux and it fills the gap. It's maybe not the best, but at least it's open source like FreeBSD :-)
Sorry for the late replay but I just noticed your message. I noticed that DesktopBSD is dead which I expected after Peter graduated. However Desktop-tools might be an interesting legacy if it becomes the part of the FreeBSD base like NanoBSD.

Out of 17 currently active FreeBSD projects

m0n0wall
FreeNAS
pfSense
AskoziaPBX
NanoBSD
TrustedBSD
FreeSBIE
Frenzy
PC-BSD
TrueBSD
RoFreeSBIE
MidnightBSD
HamFreeSBIE
miniBSD
DesktopBSD
RelaxBSD
GuLIC-BSD

only first four are really, really interesting. Rescue tools provided by LiveCD Frenzy should be provide by FreeBSD project itself. The same goes for LiveCD of the FreeSBIE type which is more appropriate for hardware testing. I am not sure what is the state freesbie port (I mean tools for creating LiveCD) but I would imagine that is not very off production level.

PCBSD will die like DesktopBSD due to the stubborn refusal by PCBSD developers to admit that PBIs are BIG mistake and creating the viable GUI for packages and ports. The focus of PCBSD should have been work on desktop
features of the FreeBSD like porting proprietary drivers for printing and scanning (sane-backends are half functional on FreeBSD, HLIP is in sad state)
as well as adding the WI driver (it is enough to port OpenBSD drivers) as well
as USB camera drivers (porting uvideo driver from OpenBSD comes to mind).

I thought I would never say this but OpenBSD has much more to offer to competent Unix user on a desktop than FreeBSD.

More network, audio drivers plus uvideo driver. WPA works. DRM enabled.
Ekiga actually works with video and PJSUA just rocks.
From November Java will be just regular binary package.
Gnash is almost ready for the production. The Wine release is almost ported which will
enable people to use Oliver Harold's trick and use Flash in the Window's browser. OpenOffice is just a regular binary package unlike FreeBSD where is a pain to compile. The GUI tool for managing ports and packages is available as a package. TeXLive is actually ported and stale ports are constantly cut from the ports three unlike FreeBSD containing thousands of legacy ports.
Qemu works. If we add much more user friendliness of OpenBSD which doesn't require kernel compilation for things like HPLIP or loading modules even for audio and WiFi the choice should be clear.

OpenBSD has far better installer than FreeBSD and installing dozen of similar systems is just a snap using siteXX.tgz.

It seems that relevant FreeBSD based desktop distro remains an illusive goal as Linux monopoly over the Windows on the desktop.

Last edited by Oko; 29th June 2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 29th June 2008
UNIX lover

Yes OpenBSD is to some degree nice, but I do need

-working SMP in terms of speed, not just 'look we have got a dualcore'
-WPA (okay they're at last working on it for 4.4)
-a ports tree which is actually 'really usable' (the best you can get is in current)
-some proper 3D support (okay not their fault)
-some minor annoyances
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
Yes OpenBSD is to some degree nice, but I do need

-working SMP in terms of speed, not just 'look we have got a dualcore'
-WPA (okay they're at last working on it for 4.4)
-a ports tree which is actually 'really usable' (the best you can get is in current)
-some proper 3D support (okay not their fault)
-some minor annoyances
Serious SMP on the desktop? Please. OpenBSD supports SMP on i386, AMD 64, sparc64, ppc, apple ppc and motorolla 68. And I am not talking Core 2 Duo. I am talking multiple CPUs. That is far wider SMP support than FreeBSD which doesn't have single core support for wide class of SUN's CPUs. WPA is in current. I am using it on the daily base. DRM in enabled in current.

On the another hand FreeBSD is SMP optimized for i386 and AMD and nothing can bit its scalability on motherboards which have up to 16 CPUs. It has ZFS, ULE and it will have DTrace shortly. Nobody claims that FreeBSD is dead for File Servers and Databases. It is alive and better than ever You have to agree on that one with me. It should be a logical choice for file and database server use over Linux on any non-proprietary hardware.

Speaking of the OpenBSD ports three I am amazed that so few people can do even that much. OpenBSD team has 100 people and maybe that much more who are playing with ports. FreeBSD has 200 people core team thousands of commiters and probably 100 times bigger user base. There are also philosophical differences. OpenBSD much like RedHat is incremental distro. You
are suppose to update port three once in 6 months.
FreeBSD is moving target like Debian. People keep upgrading and compiling until they get sick of it and then adopt incremental strategy. For all practical purposes fresh installation of FreeBSD every six months is more than enough for most users.

Last edited by Oko; 29th June 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 29th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

DesktopBSD is dead?
Old 30th June 2008
Arp Constable

Well, as interesting as I find this turn of the conversation I do believe this is -- offtopic.

Moderators or separate thread anyone?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 30th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
Moderators or separate thread anyone?
This thread is good candidate for becoming "* is dead" subforum.

Who/what's next on the list?
Old 30th June 2008
Port Guard

I miss that site and the time i dedicated to it.
The only thing that makes me happy is that i tried really hard to show the newbies how good the 3 main BSD:s are.
Reg /T
Old 30th June 2008
UNIX lover

@oko

>OpenBSD supports SMP on i386

To show all of the cpus in dmesg doesn't count. It's lightyears behind FreeBSD, even NetBSD is more advanced. It's performance I'm talking of. But in the end they don't care about it, because security is important. And if you want anything ultra-secure, then you have to live with massive sacrifices.

Another example: 10Gb on OpenBSD, http://www.openbsd.org/papers/cuug2007/mgp00008.html

What's better? 'Hey we can do it' or 'Hey we are using some of it benefits'?

Last edited by Oliver_H; 30th June 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old 30th June 2008
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
DesktopBSD is dead?
I don't know, do you know anything more?
ISO Quartermaster

Errm, someone wrote that in this thread, and I haven't seen you argue it. However, the forums still seem active. I figured you would be the one to ask.
Old 30th June 2008
UNIX lover

Sorry it's some kind of sarcasm ;-) But speaking tacheles I wouldn't recommend it anymore. For the desktop PC-BSD is the better choice, for the desktop of average joe I would use something Linux or *cough* some Mac.
Arp Constable

For support issues, I would recommended Ubuntu over PC-BSD with way things seem to be going...

I guess almost everyone is here instead ;-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 6th July 2008
Port Guard

I wasn't a frequent poster on BSDForums(last visit 1-28-2008) but was sure appalled by all the spamming. What on Earth happened? I'll never go back on that forum again. Glad I found this one!
Old 6th July 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrsetrdr View Post
What on Earth happened?
http://www.freebsdforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=59607