DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2018
Arp Constable

Default Building a patched miniroot6x.fs

I noted that a patch with Gemini Lake pci ids was submitted to @tech
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=154460012427249&w=2

I have a recent HP Stream 14 with an n4000 Gemini Lake cpu that does not recognize the eMMC storage.

I understand that the pci ids are just hardware recognition and not the actual drivers.

Still, if Intel's eMMC driver is unchanged between Apollo Lake and Gemini Lake, would it be worthwhile to follow release(8) to build a minirootXX.fs or installXX.fs.

Could I take some short cuts (bypass xenocara build) and just build miniroot?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2018
More noise than signal

There's no need to build a miniroot, you only need to build a kernel. If you still have your USB stick from 2 days ago, just build a test GENERIC kernel, copy it to the root partition of your USB stick, boot it, and type in the name of the test kernel at the boot> prompt.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2018
Arp Constable

The patch applies to
Code:
--- dev/pci/pcidevs	30 Nov 2018 19:18:31 -0000	1.1870
+++ dev/pci/pcidevs	12 Dec 2018 04:47:11 -0000
which I think is in baseXX.tgz I was wondering about mounting a current minirootXX.fs as a vnode, deleting /devs. The documentation cautions that I should build from a newly compiled kernel but if I use current, I may be able to get away with building just the pcidevs -> MAKEDEV, and copying the /dev back to the vnode..

Last edited by shep; 13th December 2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: vode -> vnode
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2018
More noise than signal

I don't think you've built an OpenBSD kernel before.

The kernel must be built as a single, cohesive whole, as ALL of the object files created during kernel build are link-edited into a single file. (The files /bsd and /bsd.rd are kernels. When you use file(1) to find out what is in them, you will learn that they are ELF binary files.)

The source tree for the kernel is stored in /usr/src/sys. You do not need the entire source tree, but you do need the complete kernel source code.

Or, you can just wait for the next snapshot, which will include this commit.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2018
Arp Constable

Actually, I have built kernels in the pre-syspatch days. It was a cut n' paste afair that did not result in me learning anything about OpenBSD kernel internals. What I do not understand is what is in the kernels and whether Device ID entries impact /dev. I have also been looking at cvs@openbsd.org and did not see the commit. Could not find it the Changelog either.

I've noticed that some postings get glossed over. If I posted a dmesg w/ the patch, would it help push the commit.

Last edited by shep; 13th December 2018 at 09:41 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2018
More noise than signal

Do not confuse device driver software located in /usr/src/sys/dev/* with the system and device special files found in the /dev/* directory. The latter are userland I/O communication conduits to a subset of the kernel's device drivers.

And this patch has not yet been committed at this writing. My error. Yes, your posting dmesg results (with a patched -current kernel) would help obtain a commit.