DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2008
New User

Default Serving 2 domains through firewall using a Jail?

I have a firewall that forwards all port 80 requests to my server s1.myserver.com.

I have multiple domains (myserver.com & theirserver.com) pointing to my global IP address which is on the WAN side of my firewall.

I have this working using just virtual domains on a single (s1.myserver.com) server.

I have recently added a jail VM (s2.mydomain.com) setup to this server and would like to move my theirserver.com domain traffic inside the jail with it's own dedicated web server.

My question is: How (if possible) do I configure apache on my s1.myserver.com so that it handles www.myserver.com traffic itself but passes traffic destined for www.theirserver.com to the jail VM and it's own apache server without the client knowing about this configuration?

I looked at the reverse proxy features but got lost in the weeds . (this is a hobby for me and not my business).

FREEBSD 7-STABLE

Thanks
Krreagan
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreagan
How (if possible) do I configure apache on my s1.myserver.com so that it handles www.myserver.com traffic itself but passes traffic destined for www.theirserver.com to the jail VM and it's own apache server without the client knowing about this configuration?
So, if I understand this correctly, you have:
  • a single static IP address;
  • one apache instance in a jail, the other apache instance in the host environment;
  • two domain names (which currently resolve to the same IP address).

If that's all true, to me the cleanest way to handle this is to run apache only in the jail and simply use name-based virtual hosting to serve up both sites. (Eh, and it sounds like you're already doing that?)

I know this doesn't address exactly what you are looking for. Just throwing out ideas until someone with a better one comes along.

Last edited by anomie; 4th May 2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: removed useless suggestion.