DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th February 2010
Port Guard

Default Problem with just one website !?

Hi guys. In months past I have been using a small little consumer boxed router but decided a few months back to get something much more secure so went with OpenBSD 4.6 so got a new machine installed, configured etc

Everything has been just great and I am really lovin it. I have PF and Squid running and I can browse and log everything with squids ACL's etc.

Just one small problem that I am hoping that someone can help me with. As one of the leaders on a forum at "forum.cartographersguild.com" just this one web site gives me grief. It often hangs getting the pages in or takes ages getting most of the pages in.

I have unplugged the BSD firewall and put my old box back on and its ok again. Something about OpenBSD and my config for it is not compatible with it. The other guys on that forum are not having issues with it. If I use a web proxy then its ok through the OpenBSD firewall too.

My pf.conf has scrub going in both directions from the ext_if and I have tried the min-ttl and max-mss with varying values but I see no difference. I am not blocking it with squid and using lynx can hang it too.

I have not gone into actual packet content inspection. I think there must be something peculiar about OpenBSD packets that its web host is balking at. I don't have any other friends with OpenBSD other than one which has exactly the same setup machine and install as I and also has the same issues so its not my ISP either.

I can ping it with constant times no problem. They are hosted on secureserver.com if that makes any difference.

If I use Firefox then it hangs or takes ages, with Opera then it shows the count of parts of page to go and it usually gets so far in and then stops. Usually after about a minute the page completes so I think my requests are exiting but maybe caught up somewhere.

Not found a single other web site with this issue.

Thats about everything I know on the problem. What can I try to fix it ?

Thx in advance.