DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2015
Scarletts
-Guest-

Default nfs and suspend

• I have a NFS server (running OpenBSD, amd64, recent snapshots) at home.
  • I have a laptop (also running OpenBSD, amd64, recent snapshots) which I like to connect to this server.
  • Sometimes I like to close that laptop's lid to make it suspend.
  • Closing the lid closes its connection to the network.
  • On resume, I need to execute /etc/netstart to kick the NIC into action again.
  • /etc/netstart sometimes does something that leads to it being stuck in the kernel (the NFS part of the kernel). It doesn't finish doing its job and it can't be killed.
  • Shutting down the system doesn't work because the process won't end. This has once led to a panic (which I didn't record because I thought it happened because I was using a hard mount). The laptop needs to be forced off.

This seems like a bug to me. A painful one, because it can't be consistently reproduced and when it can it doesn't always lead to a panic. It's likely that I still can't post to the lists because I'm still on a DNSBL, so this isn't going to bugs@

I start nfsd with -tun 4. portmap and mountd are started without any special options; exports just allows access from the laptop.

I mount the directory with # mount_nfs -s 10.0.1.1:/mnt/a /mnt/nfs_media. I do this for a few different shares. All of the mounts are soft.

I use an USB NIC on the laptop (axe(4), ASIX Electronics AX88772B).

Are there any other knobs which might help? Am I being silly and missing something obvious? Is the road to NFS fraught with peril?

Last edited by Scarletts; 16th August 2015 at 06:16 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2015
Open Source Software user

I've heard that usb ports can power down sometimes, I'm just wondering if that may be your problem, when restarting the network, the usb port may not have power.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2015
More noise than signal

USB device connections are powered off when suspending. You can have the same sort of problem on a networkless system if its disk devices are USB.

However, there is a circumvention: customized scripts in /etc/apm -- described in apmd(8). I use these to disconnect NFS mounts on standby/suspend/hibernate (I use a hard link, so these are the same script), and re-establish them on resume. I'm not concerned with USB devices, but with vlan(4) devices, so my resume script issues ifconfig(8) and netstart(8) commands needed to re-establish connections prior to remounting NFS filesystems.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2015
Scarletts
-Guest-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
USB device connections are powered off when suspending. You can have the same sort of problem on a networkless system if its disk devices are USB.

However, there is a circumvention: customized scripts in /etc/apm -- described in apmd(8). I use these to disconnect NFS mounts on standby/suspend/hibernate (I use a hard link, so these are the same script), and re-establish them on resume. I'm not concerned with USB devices, but with vlan(4) devices, so my resume script issues ifconfig(8) and netstart(8) commands needed to re-establish connections prior to remounting NFS filesystems.
This looks like it will help me. Thanks!