DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
Port Guard

Question fusefs-kmod: requires the userland sources to be installed?

While installing gnome2 last nite I ran into an error with fusefs-kmod in that it says it requires the userland sources to be installed. I was able to bypass the issue and finish the gnome2 installation by installing via pkg_add, but I don't think that actually solved anything.

I still get a notice about that when I use portmaster now. Can anyone tell me how I can install the userland source for fusefs-kmod?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
Shell Scout

Run make buildworld and make installworld
fusefs-kmod won't run properly if userland has not been updated too.

Code:
# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
# make installkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL
# reboot
--- after reboot ---
# cd /usr/src
# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# mergemaster -iU
# make delete-old
# make delete-old-libs
# reboot
More info - the FreeBSD Handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th October 2008
VPN Cryptographer

fusefs-kmod is the structures that User Filesystems (fusefs) use to access the kernel structures needed to mount filesystems. Various fusefs filesystems are available in ports. Most noteably, the only way to get read-write access to a ntfs filesystem is via fusefs-ntfs. Most fusefs-es come from the linux crowd.

This is a kernel module: a driver that can be loaded into the kernel at run-time. Because of this, it needs the kernel sources to build, because it will need all the headers and libraries. Also, remember to update any of these kmods whenever you update your kernel.

How do you get the sources? There are a couple of ways. If you have just installed of the CD, then run sysinstall again, do a post-install config, find the packages menu, and install the kernel and system sources. That will give you the same sources that were used to make your kernel - very important.
You may wish to use this as an opportunity to update your kernel - a very good idea. Still the sources from the CD are a good start. Then, use this command to update them:# csup -h csup3.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/stable-supfile This command will update your sources if you have them, of download a full set if you don't. Then you will need to do a buildworld cycle, as DNAeon suggested above. Then you will be all set.

Hope this helps!