DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th September 2008
Shell Scout

Default My version of pkg_add :)

Hello everyone!

First this is not a new pkg_add command, it's a pkg_add command which acts a little bit different . The idea about it came when a guy from another forum was asking about how to make pkg_add to look first in some local path and if the package was not there then pkg_add should install it from a remote ftp server.

Anyway, I wanted to share this with you too, since someone may find it useful. It is written in C (I know that I would do the same if I wrote a script for that, but I rarely write scripts though ) and you can see a screenshots here. And here's the code

It's nothing much and perhaps it's a waste of time, but I like programming

Any suggestions on how to improve it are welcome!

Last edited by DNAeon; 5th October 2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Program name has changed! name is now `pkg_add_it`
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th September 2008
Local

I like the idea. One question: I see that when searching a local path it matches a pattern. Does it also try to match a pattern for a remote ftp server?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th September 2008
Knuth's homeboy

> Does it also try to match a pattern for a remote ftp server?

that would be my feature request too.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAeon View Post
Hello everyone!

First this is not a new pkg_add command, it's a pkg_add command which acts a little bit different .
Very nice mate, add a post to lists.freebsd.org also, maybe you will start new base system utility.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th September 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
First this is not a new pkg_add command, it's a pkg_add command which acts a little bit different . The idea about it came when a guy from another forum was asking about how to make pkg_add to look first in some local path and if the package was not there then pkg_add should install it from a remote ftp server.
You can sort of already do this with pkg_replace, which is in ports:
Code:
export PKGREPO=/usr/mypackages
export PACKAGEROOT=""
pkg_replace -P $PKGREPO/file.tgz
Granted your way seems to tie this together a lot easier, and this won't search online after it's done there anyway.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th September 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie
I like the idea. One question: I see that when searching a local path it matches a pattern. Does it also try to match a pattern for a remote ftp server?
No.
If you look at the code you'll see that it first tries to find every single match of the given pattern in the given path and make a list of them, so you can choose which one for example to install. This way if don't even know the real name of the package you will still have the chance to choose from a list of available options. If no match is found there then it tries to fetch it and install it from a remote FTP server (just using pkg_add -r pattern for this one)

For example if you run:
Code:
smart_add /cdrom/packages/ blablabla
And there is no found pattern it will run pkg_add this way assuming that the package is not in /cdrom/packages/ but it's a real name of package which will be installed from the ftp server:
Code:
pkg_add -r blablabla
This of course will not work if the package is not in the ftp server, but I think that your idea about searching a pattern on an ftp server is very good. Thanks for that idea! I'll give it a shot with this one - try to add a feature that searches an ftp server for a given pattern and include it in the program. I think that libcurl would do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden
Very nice mate, add a post to lists.freebsd.org also, maybe you will start new base system utility.
Thanks vermaden, maybe I'll will, but first I think that I have to include some extra features in it (like the one anomie and ephemera suggested) so it will be really useful (if of course someone finds it useful anyway) and that's why I posted here first, so I can gather up some ideas in my mind which to include in the code later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaseal
You can sort of already do this with pkg_replace, which is in ports:
Code:
export PKGREPO=/usr/mypackages
export PACKAGEROOT=""
pkg_replace -P $PKGREPO/file.tgz
Granted your way seems to tie this together a lot easier, and this won't search online after it's done there anyway.
I'm sorry, I didn't understand you. I know nothing about pkg_replace, but from what I've learned about it it is a tool for upgrading packages - just like portupgrade is. The program I wrote is not trying to upgrade any existing package, but installs it instead.
Of course you can easily change the behaviour of the program if you just change the CMD* macros In fact now I've got another idea on how to improve it - I'll add a command-line options for the various pkg_* commands - pkg_add, pkg_delete, pkg_info, etc.. and upon that option the specified action will be taken onto the chosen package.

Wow, that is long post I've written, hope I didn't bored you from reading

Thanks everyone!
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks vermaden, maybe I'll will, but first I think that I have to include some extra features in it (like the one anomie and ephemera suggested) so it will be really useful (if of course someone finds it useful anyway) and that's why I posted here first, so I can gather up some ideas in my mind which to include in the code later
Maybe only some features you implemented will be just added to pkg_add for example.

You can sure start your port right now (under /usr/ports/ports-mgmt category), just post your source code on lists.freebsd.org ( really, they dont bite :] ) and talk to developers/contributors. You will get a lot more beta testers and feature requests at the same time.

I can only wish you good luck for moving and polishing it to be ready for the base system

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2008
Administrator

OpenBSD has a environment variable PKG_PATH which you can set to a mix of local and remote directories.
Code:
     PKG_PATH     If a given package name cannot be found, the directories
                  named by PKG_PATH are searched.  It should contain a series
                  of entries separated by colons.  Each entry consists of a
                  directory name, ending in a slash.  URL schemes such as FTP,
                  HTTP, HTTPS, or SCP are also appropriate.  The current di-
                  rectory may be indicated implicitly by an empty directory
                  name, or explicitly by a single period (`./').
Doesn't the FreeBSD PKG_PATH do something similar? From the FBSD pkg_add man page:
Code:
     The value of the PKG_PATH is used if a given package cannot be found.
     The environment variable should be a series of entries separated by
     colons.  Each entry consists of a directory name.	The current directory
     may be indicated implicitly by an empty directory name, or explicitly by
     a single period.
The question of course is what in the FreeBSD PKG_PATH is a 'directory name'

FreeBSD pkg_add also knows PACKAGESITE. From the FBSD man page
Code:
     The environment variable PACKAGESITE specifies an alternate location for
     pkg_add to fetch from.  This variable subverts the automatic directory
     logic that pkg_add uses when the -r option is invoked.  Thus it should be
     a complete URL to the remote package file(s).
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2008
Shell Scout

@J65nko

Yes, I could use these environment variables to set up an alternate location for the packages and they would be used when pkg_add is invoked.

The idea about the program is that you don't have to know the full name of the package (like in the screenshot above), so the program will search for a match of the given pattern and let you choose which package to install.

Thus if you want to install some of the xorg-fonts-* package, first you'll have to find the package, take it's full name and then install it with pkg_add.
For example if the package files are in /cdrom/packages/All/ perhaps you'll have to do something like this:
Code:
# find /cdrom/packages/All/ -name "xorg-fonts*" -print
--- some output here ---
# pkg_add /cdrom/packages/All/xorg-fonts-cyrillic-7.3.tbz # just an example
And if you do that with the above program, you'll just run a single command
Code:
# smart_add /cdrom/packages/ xorg-font
And then you can interactively choose which package to install, since you'll have all the available packages which match xorg-font for example.

Anyway you could still set these env variables to point to some FTP site(s) since when no matching pattern is found the program invokes pkg_add -r pattern and then the FTP sites will be searched for the package.

But as I mentioned in my first post - "this is not a new pkg_add command, it's a pkg_add command which acts a little bit different" - this way giving you the chance to search for a pattern and of course a little bit interactivity which I think pkg_add doesn't provide.

Cheers
<DNAeon>
Old 26th September 2008
Shell Scout

Hi, again!

As vermaden suggested I sent an email to lists.freebsd.org (freebsd-ports@freebsd.org) about 24+ hours ago, but I didn't get a copy of my email to my mail account and the post isn't listed in the Archive section too.

This is my first post sent the mailing lists at FreeBSD, is it normal that after 24+ hours the post is still not processed?
Old 26th September 2008
Administrator

Sent emails to stable and current MLs.

Old 26th September 2008
Shell Scout

Thank you for your continuous support vermaden!

I've subscribed in the freebsd-stable and freebsd-current MLs too, and sent emails to these lists too ( freebsd-stable@freebsd.org and freebsd-current@freebsd.org ) and it's been about 4 hours since I sent those mail and I haven't still received a copy of my mails - so they are not already posted in the lists I think.

I guess it takes some time till the sent emails get posted, or not?
Old 26th September 2008
Administrator

No problem mate.

As for the current you should get at least info that you your post need to be aprooved.

Strange thing, It worked for, but indeed you have to wait little longer for messages to appear in the [Archive], dunno what else to try here, maybe try to add your source code as an attachement instead of links, maybe some antispam cut your message, generally try message without any links.

Old 26th September 2008
Spam Refugee

Messages to the stable list are sent out immediately. Have you selected the option to receive your own e-mails through the list when signing up? I think it defaults to 'no' on Mailman lists.
Old 27th September 2008
Shell Scout

The problem was in my mail server - qmail was keeping the messages in its queue for unknown reason - only messages sent to freebsd.org were left in the queue, so I had to flush the queue and now I'll see the results.

@DutchDaemon
The option is set to 'YES' by default and I haven't changed it.

I'll post back later for the result
Old 27th September 2008
Shell Scout

The program is in the list now By tomorrow I guess I'll have a working version of the program which allows searching an FTP server for a package.

Cheers
--
DNAeon

Last edited by J65nko; 28th September 2008 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Thread drift prevention, send DNAeon a PM with the deleted qmail question and asked to start a new thread about it
Old 1st October 2008
Shell Scout

Default New version of the program with FTP search support..

Hi, again!

I've finished the new version of the program. I decided to name it pkg_add_it - pkg_add Interactive Tool

pkg_add_it now supports the following:
  • improved code for dynamic memory allocation
  • local package pattern search
  • remote (ftp) package pattern search
  • command line arguments to specify a local or remote installation
  • uses some env variables like PACKAGEROOT, OSRELEASE and MACHTYPE to determite which package and from where to be installed

The remote/ftp package pattern search is done by searching the INDEX file for a pattern and extracting the needed information from it. The program uses a default values for these environment variables if they have not been set:

It doesn't have any requirements, so it should build and run on any system that has fetch and pkg_add support.

Screenshots of various usage of the program can be found here:
http://unix-heaven.org/doc/pkg_add_it/gfx/

And the code is here:
http://unix-heaven.org/ports-mgmt/pkg_add_it-1.0.tar.gz

Well, I hope someone finds it useful

P.S: If someone have any suggestions on how to improve more - let me know

Cheers!

--DNAeon

Last edited by DNAeon; 5th October 2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Program name has changed!
Old 1st October 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't understand you. I know nothing about pkg_replace, but from what I've learned about it it is a tool for upgrading packages - just like portupgrade is. The program I wrote is not trying to upgrade any existing package, but installs it instead.
Of course you can easily change the behaviour of the program if you just change the CMD* macros In fact now I've got another idea on how to improve it - I'll add a command-line options for the various pkg_* commands - pkg_add, pkg_delete, pkg_info, etc.. and upon that option the specified action will be taken onto the chosen package.
pkg_replace -N will install new ports.
Old 1st October 2008
Spam Refugee

Is one supposed to define $OSRELEASE? All I have is $OSTYPE (freebsd7.0) and $MACHTYPE (i386-portbld-freebsd7.0). I guess calling 'uname -r' would be sufficient (7.1-PRERELEASE in my case).

Last edited by DutchDaemon; 1st October 2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 1st October 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDaemon
Is one supposed to define $OSRELEASE? All I have is $OSTYPE (freebsd7.0) and $MACHTYPE (i386-portbld-freebsd7.0). I guess calling 'uname -r' would be sufficient (7.1-PRERELEASE in my case).
I decided to use the name OSRELEASE for the env variable since actually, there is no such a variable and that way when you run the program it will use it's value.

If you for example run FreeBSD 6.2 and want to install a package which is included in FreeBSD-8-CURRENT for example you will need to set $OSRELEASE = 8-current (which is the default behaviour), so the program will fetch the package file from 8-current directory of the FTP server.

I wanted to keep the code cleaner so that way only env variables will do the job.

====
EDIT:
The program is called now `pkg_add_it` - pkg_add interactive interface.

There are a few changes made to the code and I've included also a small but useful feature - a pager.
Now the program uses a pager defined by $PAGER for browsing through the package list.

Also the port has been submitted to the FreeBSD ports tree, so let's hope that it will be added soon to the ports tree
When this happens it will be under ports-mgmt/pkg_add_it

All best,
DNAeon

Last edited by DNAeon; 5th October 2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Program name has changed!!