DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Default Wireless Troubles

Go easy those of you that are more experienced that I.

I have been able to connect to almost every public network that I visit (i.e. Panera Bread, Starbuck, Burger King, etc, etc), but I am unable to connect to my local coffee shops network. I have asked the owner and he believes they use wpa but is unsure. Their nwid is Main Street Java and their passphrase is lemonade. Here is an example of my ifconfig wpi0 command ifconfig wpi0 nwid Main Street Java wpa wpapsk \
`wpa-psk Main Street Java lemonad`

I get an error that Street is not recognized or something to that effect. I have tried placing an underscore between each word (e.g. Main_Street_Java and have also tried surrounding the nwid with quotes (e.g. “Main Street Java”) but have been unsuccessful. I have also tried many other variations.

I reset the wpi0 to its default setting between each attempt hoping that something works. I realize this is a very simple problem but have yet to figure it out. I also realize that it will ultimately come to me if I keep experimenting. So, if know one wants to give me the answer I would appreciate some advice as to where to look. I have read and reread man ifconfig and man wpi numerous times.

Thanks guys/gals

divadgnol
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Do I need to generate my key by issuing this command <Your SSID> <Your passphrase> and then enter the results into <Your passhrase> proceeded by 0x ?????
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
More noise than signal

The SSID you describe has spaces in it. Spaces are used as delimiters between the SSID and the passphrase.

You must either use a backslash escape character in front of the spaces, or put your SSID inside quotes.

examples:

# wpa-wsk 'Main Street Java' lemonade
# wpa-wsk Main\ Street\ Java lemonade

The output from these is a string of hexadecimal characters already preceded by 0x.

You can either use the output string in an ifconfig with copy/paste, or, you can combine wpa-wsk with ifconfig in a single command, as plainly described in the ifconfig(8) man page:
Quote:
ifconfig wpi0 nwid my_net wpa wpapsk \
`wpa-psk my_net my_passphrase`
Note the backtick characters used to pipe the output of wpa-psk into ifconfig
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
Fdisk Soldier

@jggimi,

thank you for the education and the clarification on the use of backticks

divadgnol
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
More noise than signal

Oh, yes ... ifconfig also requires an SSID with spaces to be escaped as well. Example, assuming you still use the same hardware you mentioned in another thread:

# ifconfig ipw0 nwid 'Main Street Java' wpa wpapsk `wpa-psk 'Main Street Java' lemonade`

You and the owner both seem unsure about this particular access point's configuration. You may find this helpful:

# ifconfig ipw0 scan
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2010
Fdisk Soldier

@jggimi,

Thanks again for your help and insight. I use ifconfig wpi0 scan all the time but I'm still learning how to interpret all the output that is given.

divadgnol
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd September 2010
Fdisk Soldier

@jggimi,

Thanks to your help I was able to solve my connection issues this morning. I was able to simplify the task by doing the following - return wpi0 to its default settings, then issue wpa-psk Main\ Street\ Java lemonade then take the output and issue this command ifconfig wpi0 Main\ Street\ Java wpa wpa-psk 0x----------------------------.

It was that easy! Thanks again

Tags
solved