DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2024
ISO Quartermaster

Default SOLVED: Sound in OpenBSD-7.4

I did an install of OpenBSD on a Thinkpad T495. It's sharing with a couple of Linux installs and FreeBSD. The first try, I let it auto partition, but it only used about 6 G of 40 G. So, this one was a custom partitioning, which I can't see having much to do with it. Basically, I removed home and enlarged /usr to fill up the partition.

I've looked at the multimedia faq. I tried the debugging they mention at
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html#audioprob and I get the results they describe, 0 errors and audioctl.play giving increasing values.
I ran sndioctl as my user
Code:
input.level=0.486
input.mute=0
output.level=0.494
output.mute=1
server.device=0
So I tried running
Code:

sndioctl output.mute=0
but no joy
Then I tried

Code:
doas mixerctl |grep mute

record.adc-0:1_mute=off
record.adc-2:3_mute=off
record.adc-4:5_mute=off
outputs.spkr_mute=off
outputs.hp_mute=off
outputs.spkr_muters=hp
outputs.master.mute=off
record.volume.mute=off
I'm not sure what that outputs.hp is, it's not in the mixerctl man page or man(5) mixerctl.conf. I think, but am not positive, that they time I did the default install, the one that left me with no space, I ran mpv on a short video and it gave me sound.

Startpaging (which I prefer to google or duckduckgo) has brought me no luck. I'm wondering if I'm overlooking the obvious.

I probably won't see any replies till tomorrow, so if someone gives a suggestion, please be patient--I will follow up, might take me a bit of time.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2024
Arp Constable

I'm on the West Coast,.

In your FreeBSD sound setup, did you have multiple audio devices?

Found the answer:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/c...97/post-613814

It looks like you have two sound drivers; one a dedicated realtek chip and the other associated with the ATI video driver. What happens if you set the default to snd/1?

Output hp is the headphone jack.

As far as partitioning, if you don't intend to compile using OpenBSD ports, the /usr/obj and /usr/src partitions can be safely deleted
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2024
ISO Quartermaster

I think that's my post. I will try that tomorrow, going to sleep soon. Ignorant question, where do I set default sound to snd/1. (About to go to sleep, if you don't see this, I'm sure I'll find it tomorrow).

Anyway, thanks for the clue.
From one Scott to another...
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2024
Arp Constable

Quote:
Choosing the Default Audio Device
The default audio device is selected with the AUDIODEVICE environment variable. If it's not set, snd/default is used, which by default points to the first audio device managed by sndiod(8). The most flexible way of choosing the default device is to export AUDIODEVICE, possibly in the user's login profile.
Alternatively, sndiod(8)'s default device may be changed at runtime with the server.device control exposed by sndioctl(1):
Code:
$ sndioctl server.device=1
The other alternative is to use the -f flag for sndio in /etc/rc.conf.local

sndiod(8)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2024
ISO Quartermaster

Yes, I actually found it and tried changing it. However, I still had no sound, and also got an error (with mpv) that it couldn't open the audio device. So, I changed it back. Still no sound, but at least no error message.

I feel a bit disappointed as OpenBSD has such a good reputation for working easily with Thinkpads.
I also tried, instead of changing output mute=1 to mute=0, using sndioctl(1)'s example of mute=! but still no luck. I still suspect I'm missing something obvious, but I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion though, it seemed a good one.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2024
ISO Quartermaster

And, still fooling around with this, I reinstalled, and this time sound worked. The only difference I see (dmesg has the same result as the non-working time) is that this time when I ran sndioctl without any options, to see what I had, it showed output.mute=0. I have no idea what, if anything, I did differently.
I don't see a way to mark a thread solved, but even if I did, I don't know that I'd use it, because I never did solve it, I fixed it in a Windows way, reinstalling. But, I'm not complaining.