Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd January 2014
Administrator

Default Backdoor in wireless DSL routers lets attacker reset router, get admin

From http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...ter-get-admin/

Quote:
A hacker has found a backdoor to wireless combination router/DSL modems that could allow an attacker to reset the router’s configuration and gain access to the administrative control panel. The attack, confirmed to work on several Linksys and Netgear DSL modems, exploits an open port accessible over the wireless local network.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th January 2014
VPN Cryptographer

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm glad I have a Motorolla Cable modem.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th January 2014
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

I have a NetGear (running ddwrt because the stock image was vulnerable to WPS attacks...it's a WNR2000 v2, which v1 and v3 are openwrt supported, v2 is not). My other WAP is a Buffalo N600 running openwrt (nothing against ddwrt, just wanted to learn another image since I already have ddwrt on the NetGear).

It's really not surprising, given these vendors' "security record".

Last edited by rocket357; 5th January 2014 at 11:30 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th January 2014
Too dumb for a smartphone

I could easily be wrong, but my sense is that back door might be there intentionally for service personnel to recover a locked out router? If so, I imagine Linksys et al will not be happy about this report. Although it's also a bit surprising it wasn't already known if this were the case.

I recently got a free used Linksys wireless router and downloaded the latest vendor firmware for it (dd-wrt still to come). As part of the download process you're supposed to read and agree to an EULA. I just skimmed it, but I noticed there was a bit about agreeing not to dis-assemble anything.

I hope the Linksys lawyers won't be going after the hacker. Maybe the fact that there is a vulnerability in their systems, whatever the intent of it, would make that too much of a public relations disaster for them to pursue.