Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2014
Administrator

Default Tuesday declared 'The Day we Fight Back' against NSA et al

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02...nst_nsa_et_al/

Quote:
A broad coalition of technology companies and activist groups has declared Tuesday, February 11th 2014 has been “The Day We Fight Back Against Mass Surveillance”.

Timed to co-incide with the first anniversary of Aaron Swartz's death, the day has attracted support from some unsurprising sources – the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Greenpeace, the American Civil Liberties Union – and also some technology outfits that seem to be poking their heads above the parapet a bit, such as ThoughtWorks (which today told The Reg it is going public on an issue of this sort for the first time), tumblr (does Marissa know?), Colt and Mozilla.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2014
Shell Scout

Quote:
A broad coalition of technology companies and activist groups has declared Tuesday, February 11th 2014 has been “The Day We Fight Back Against Mass Surveillance”.

Timed to co-incide with the first anniversary of Aaron Swartz's death, the day has attracted support from some unsurprising sources – the Electronic Frontier Foundation, Greenpeace, the American Civil Liberties Union – and also some technology outfits that seem to be poking their heads above the parapet a bit, such as ThoughtWorks (which today told The Reg it is going public on an issue of this sort for the first time), tumblr (does Marissa know?), Colt and Mozilla.
Whatzilla?

Quote:
Mozilla will begin pushing sponsored ads/sites into the directory tiles when entering the new tabs page where traditionally it has showed the most frequently visited sites.

Published on 12 February 2014 11:35 AM EST
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?<br...tem&px=MTYwMTY
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2014
got root?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBSD View Post
Whatzilla?
Well, that sucks. I wonder if Adblock Plus/Edge will block those? If not maybe I'll be using just w3m or Netsurf.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2014
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJones View Post
Well, that sucks. I wonder if Adblock Plus/Edge will block those? If not maybe I'll be using just w3m or Netsurf.
JWJones, having looked at your 'user status' I understand your choice of browsers pretty well, as I love everything text-mode myself In fact, when the developers of Netsurf will finally complete adding JavaScript support to it (strange they didn't do it right from the start), it can turn into a hell of a browser. (sorry for off-topic)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th February 2014
got root?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBSD View Post
JWJones, having looked at your 'user status' I understand your choice of browsers pretty well, as I love everything text-mode myself In fact, when the developers of Netsurf will finally complete adding JavaScript support to it (strange they didn't do it right from the start), it can turn into a hell of a browser. (sorry for off-topic)
I go back and forth from noX/tmux to Xfce, depending on what I'm doing. I have been a faithful Firefox user for a long time (I don't like Chrome), but if they inundate me with ads that I can't turn off or block, I will drop them like a hot potato.

Java does come in handy, for sure, but for websites I visit, I can do without it, and all the insecurity that seems to come with it.