DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc)

NetBSD Package System (pkgsrc) Installation and upgrading of packages on NetBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2016
New User

Default Xen3_DOM0 winxp dom not running

Hi, I'm trying to make Xen work in NetBSD 6.1 in order to virtualize Windows XP for a school project. I have the config file created and the Dom0 configured, however, when I do 'xl create /usr/pkg/etc/xen/win01' the output is:

WARNING: you seem to be using "kernel" directive to override HVM guest firmware. Ignore that. Use "firmware_override" instead if you really want a non-default firmware
[1] Bad System Call (core dumped) xl create /usr/pkg/etc/xen/win01

I don't know why does the Bad system call happen, and how should i properly create the domain.

My config file is:

Kernel = "usr/pkg/libexec/xen/boot/hvmloader"
Builder='hvm'
Memory = 1024
Shadow_memory = 8
Name = "win01"
Vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=bridge0' ]
Disk [ 'file:/home/xen/winxp.img,ioemu:hda,w','file:/home/xen/winxp.iso,ioemu:hdb:cdrom,r', ]

Vnc=1
Sdl=0
Vncconsole=1

Acpi=1
Apic=1
Device_model_version = 'qemu-xen-traditional'
Stdvga=0
Serial='pty'
Usbdevice='tablet'

I have already downloaded a Windows Xp iso and saved it into /home/xen

I dont have much knowledge on how to use NetBSD and Xen so any kind of help will be appreciated.

Best regards,
Agustin
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2016
Aspiring Unix Greybeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustinSainato View Post
Kernel = "usr/pkg/libexec/xen/boot/hvmloader"
A blind shot: add a trailing slash, e.g. /usr/... and doublecheck the path.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th May 2016
old timer

Your configuration file looks like it is for Xen 3, and it sounds like you're using Xen 4 (using XL). Which version of Xen are you using?

If Xen 3, you need a "device-model" entry pointing at qemu-dm. (I've run Windows XP as an HVM on Xen 3.)

If Xen 4, the example HVM configuration provided doesn't specify a "kernel" entry, just a "builder" entry. (note, I haven't run any Microsoft OS on Xen 4.x -- that I can find evidence of.)
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th May 2016
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashrules View Post
A blind shot: add a trailing slash, e.g. /usr/... and doublecheck the path.
Hi, that was a typing mistake, the config file has the /usr/. Thank you for your response.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th May 2016
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoebe View Post
Your configuration file looks like it is for Xen 3, and it sounds like you're using Xen 4 (using XL). Which version of Xen are you using?

If Xen 3, you need a "device-model" entry pointing at qemu-dm. (I've run Windows XP as an HVM on Xen 3.)

If Xen 4, the example HVM configuration provided doesn't specify a "kernel" entry, just a "builder" entry. (note, I haven't run any Microsoft OS on Xen 4.x -- that I can find evidence of.)
Hi, I'm using Xen 4.5 (xl), could you please tell me what should I modify in the file in order to make it work for this Xen correctly? Thank you for your help.

By the way, after the I type "xl create win01.cfg" , besides of showing the "core dumped" error, the domain is created, but with a P (pause) state.

Tags
dom0, domu, help request, netbsd, xen