DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2019
Shell Scout

Default Mail is (not) hard

https://poolp.org/posts/2019-08-30/y...-mail-is-hard/

Very nice blog-style post by Gilles Chehade on why mail is no longer as hard as you think it is, and why we need lots more small shops and individuals running their own mail servers if they are otherwise administratively inclined. Can't wait for the followup!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th September 2019
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

gilles@ always has a link to his github page at the bottom of his blog posts where people can comment. Usually his blog entries go uncommented. But this time he seems to have hit a nerve.

Also on lobste.rs.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2019
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'
Thumbs up Setting up a mail server with OpenSMTPD, Dovecot and Rspamd

gilles@ has posted his follow-up article:

https://poolp.org/posts/2019-09-14/s...ot-and-rspamd/

Very interesting read, even if you're not planning to set up a mail server yourself. For instance, the small bit about the key length of DKIM public keys in DNS records is sth. I didn't know.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2019
Shell Scout

Default Rspamd?

I wonder why he went with Rspamd (which requires redis and an additional filter package) instead of spamd(8) in base. He mentions also using it for DKIM-signing, but then smtpd.conf(5) goes and recommends the dkimproxy package for that.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2019
More noise than signal

THis new guide is based on the smtpd(8) in -current, which has a major operational change from 6.5-release: a new mail filtering subsystem. The dkimproxy recommendation in the man page predates this. I believe the man page will catch up with the operational enhancements over time.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th September 2019
Spam Deminer

I've used OpenSMTPD as my mail server since 2013 or 2014.

I briefly moved to Plan 9's mail server, and it worked for sending and receiving, but the incoming messages weren't going to where they were supposed to, and there isn't a lot of support for Plan 9 outside of the 9fans mailing list.

Then I used weasel on ArcaOS (OS/2) for a couple of months and after that I went back to OpenSMTPD. I was having a problem with 6.2 syntax since my previous installation was 5.x and the OpenSMTPD mail list was helpful in solving my problem. Another problem I had back in 5.x I sent an email and Gilles himself replied.

Great mail server and I always recommend OpenSMTPD over Postfix or Sendmail.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th September 2019
Shell Scout

Comments.

And again, also on lobste.rs
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st October 2019
ISO Quartermaster

I agree that those docs don't seem to exactly make it simple. When I wrote my mutt stuff for which I still get thanks,I kept it simple. I had user john,pass 1234 at example.com. To brag a bit, I see some stuff on the mutt pages that look like they copied from me. Anyway, I've always thought the trouble with the knowledgeable writing docs is that they forget what they used to not know. For example , they might write (to make my point, I exaggerate) grab the tarball and run the usual ./configure make, and make install, which will leave the novice at sea. A less experience user will described downloading, running .configure, and so on. I used to get mad when I saw people say, this doc or that doc is great, and finally I realized--for the expert, they probably are great.

For example, asked a brilliant friend how he set up opensmtpd. He said, Oh the man pages are best. I was embarrassed to say which did you use. I assume smtpd.conf is one but have no idea of the others.