DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2008
Port Guard

Default One small question about portupgrade (and yes I HAVE read the man-pages!)

So I've read manpages on portupgrade and portinstall (same program i know)

and I've been doing plenty of installs with "portinstall -P" to install packages, because I have a plenty slow machine, and I have yet to have been told any real advantages to compiling over installing packages, so I install packages

anywho!

upgrading

can I just run "portupgrade -aP" to install all upgrades and install them from packages when found?

How often will fresh updates be rolled into packages for my convenience? How often are things made into packages in general?

also, is running "portupgrade -aP" safe? does it run the pkgdb commands necessary to keep my system well-maintained?

is this the optimal method for updating a machine?