DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th September 2018
Spam Deminer

Default Partitioning

I have a Lenovo N580 and had FreeBSD 11.2 running on it until last night when I installed OpenBSD 6.3. I've ran OpenBSD in the past and 6.2 is running my mail server with OpenSMTPD for 2 domains, but the laptop under FreeBSD was quirky running Mate. I haven't had the problems with OpenBSD that I had previously.

I know the default partition can be changed, which I did by changing sizes. At the time I thought about just going with one / and swap and call it good, but didn't. Now I wish I would have done that, but I'm not going to reinstall since it is just a laptop for everyday use. Excellent wifi setup! So pleased coming back.

My question is though: with such large drives today, why doesn't the default install just use / and swap, instead of doing /, /usr, /var, etc., and lumping the "rest" of the unused space into /home?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th September 2018
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

Quote:
Unlike some other operating systems, OpenBSD encourages users to split their disk into a number of partitions, rather than just one or two large ones. Some of the reasons for doing so are:

● Security: Some of OpenBSD's default security features rely on filesystem mount options such as nosuid, nodev, noexec or wxallowed.
● Stability: A user or a misbehaved program can fill a filesystem with garbage if they have write permissions for it. Your critical programs, which hopefully run on a different filesystem, do not get interrupted.
● fsck(8): You can mount partitions that you never or rarely need to write to as readonly most of the time, which will eliminate the need for a filesystem check after a crash or power interruption.
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Partitioning