DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd September 2008
Port Guard

Default local dns (dnsmasq)

Behind my fw I cannot get dns to local machines to work. /etc/resolv.conf points to 127.0.0.1, locally I have dnsmasq running. /usr/local/etc/dnsmasq.conf contains lines like:

dhcp-host=00:1d:60:e0:08:db,machine-a,192.168.1.2,2h

If I do arp -a I see the machine connected and it's mac. If I ping the ip it works, if I ping the name is sends the name query upstream returning an invalid ip.

I thought that since the machine gets an ip throught dhcp, the fw would also be able to resolve it.

Dnsmasq settings are:

log-queries
domain-needed
bogus-priv
bind-interfaces
dhcp-authoritative
expand-hosts
interface=fxp0

What should I do?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

No idea: I don't use DNSmasq. Until you asked your question, I had no idea it existed. I have the same thing set up with isc-dhcpd and bind.

A few suggestions:
FreeBSD boxes do not send their domain names in dhcp by default (At least, not unless this has been changed recently.) To get them to do that, put this line in /etc/dhclient.conf
Code:
send host-name "yourhostname";
Many windows boxes use spaces and non-standard characters in their host names, which do not belong in the dns system. Use upper-case A-Z, 0-9 only. Many DNS systems will choke over names with non standard characters. Some won't - try and see - but start with standard letters.

Make sure you check the log files in /var/log/. The system may well be trying to tell you what is wrong.

That is all I can think of. If no one else here has dnsmasq experience, try posting to the dnsmasq mailing list with as much information as you can think of.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd September 2008
Port Guard

I haven't had much experience with dnsmasq, however, it appears that you are missing the address declarations.

The way I understand dnsmasq, it overrides specific values if they exist, otherwise it queries upstream. So, if you don't have the address declarations, it will query upstream.

Check out http://rhodesmill.org/brandon/2008/tomato-reverse-dns/ It covers setting up dnsmasq (on a linksys router running tomato firmware...) to specify local names for his computers. Hopefully that helps.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd September 2008
Port Guard

Ok, so specifying lines like

Code:
address=/mail.home/192.168.1.2
is somehow different (wrt arp) from lines like

Code:
dhcp-host=00:18:d3:c9:c2:ee,mail.home,192.168.1.2,2h
I'll try your suggestions and see how it goes. Thanks for all your help guys!

BR