Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2011
Administrator

Default Microsoft pounces as Mozilla shuns enterprise

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06...on_enterprise/

Quote:
After one of Mozilla's core employees said that the open source outfit is not concerned with enterprise customers – and likely never will be – Microsoft's Internet Explorer team has jumped into the breach to proclaim its undying love for the enterprise.

With a blog post, Microsoft re-committed itself to providing support for Internet Explorer 8 and 9 until January 2020, taking aim at Mozilla's insistance that it will not support preceding versions of Firefox as each new edition ships.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2011
VPN Cryptographer

Yes. Microsoft continues to support its browser. As long as it's not XP. And as long as it's not IE6. Or IE7/8/9 on Windows8.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2011
Package Pilot

Yes and enterprise customers like IBM hate Mozilla/open source so much that they endorse Mozilla Firefox over all other browsers:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07...dopts_firefox/
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2011
Tcpdump Spy

To be fair, IE9 has given me relative little trouble over the last few months when developing css/javascript. IE8 a little, and IE7/IE6 ... well, let's not go there.

The problem with supporting browsers for so long is that the web is moving *so* fast that supporting IE8 until 2020 is just completely out of perspective/context. The www is just 20 years old, and a lot of new stuff happened in the last 10 years...
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2011
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
To be fair, IE9 has given me relative little trouble over the last few months when developing css/javascript.
IE9 covers CSS2.1 fine and javascript is OK. Once you venture beyond that, IE9 is either a "no show" or performs poorly: IE9 is not a modern browser.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2011
Tcpdump Spy

But even properly supporting CSS2 and JS (And a bit of CSS3 too) is a huge step forward in the IE world.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2011
VPN Cryptographer

lol. Yep. Pulling Microsoft forward, kicking and screaming all the way. Microsoft always holds back the web.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2011
Arp Constable

Heh, my first thought on reading this yesterday, "Oh great, Microsoft just committed to holding back the Internet for another ten plus years" -> counting time for IE15 to be a total rewrite and rename ofc :-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
lol. Yep. Pulling Microsoft forward, kicking and screaming all the way. Microsoft always holds back the web.
Lets not forget that just a a few years back things weren't moving *at all*. IE7 is basically just IE6 with tabs. It solved a bug or two, but introduced a few others.
The real step forward only came in March 2009 with IE8, which supports pretty much everything you'd expect from a CSS-compliant browser (Although it does have a few problems, but nothing as major as in IE6/7).

Things are definitely not at the level they "should" be, but rather than criticizing Microsoft for moving to slow, I would applaud them for moving *at all*. You catch more with honey than with vinegar and all that
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
rather than criticizing Microsoft for moving to slow, I would applaud them for moving *at all*. You catch more with honey than with vinegar and all that
No I won't. Microsoft has lost half its market share due to its non-compliance and continues to fight everyone else tooth and nail. See WebGL, SVG, WebM, Ogg. I mention SVG even though they have half attempted at supporting it but that effort is only two years old while SVG has been around for over a decade.

I've had many an online battle with Chris Wilson who was lead developer of IE. He now works at Google and last told me, "If I was really in charge, things would have turned out a lot different (with IE)."

I had such a heated exchange with the Microsoft guy in charge of SVG (I forgot his name) that I told him what orifices he could crawl into.

Congratulating Microsoft is like congratulating GM on the great job they're doing in the car industry now that they've botched that all up and will forever be playing catch up...begrudgingly. That's how Microsoft does things. Cause they're losing market share, the internet as a whole and mobile in particular. They don't want to improve their browser but they have to.

And they're STILL three years behind everyone else.

Last edited by drhowarddrfine; 26th June 2011 at 11:20 PM.