DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2012
More noise than signal

Default Systems Integration: A security focus for web applications

Bruce Schneier recently pointed out this blog post by Troy Hunt. Mr. Hunt wrote about a B2C site operated by Tesco PLC. At the time of its publication , Tesco's site had received little or no attention by their technical security auditors. Bruce found Mr. Hunt's blog post valuable, "...not because it picks on Tesco but because it's filled with good advice on how not to do it wrong."

I agree. Hunt discussed problems that are very common and occur with many, many sites. The bulk of the problems he atrributes to unconscious incompetence -- and that can occur anywhere. We can even outsource the problem to incompetent service providers. These problems are caused by a lack of attention (and/or resources) combined with a lack of knowledge regarding the risk.

One technical example Hunt highlighted is the limitation imposed on "sessions" maintained via HTTP. Cookies must be used, because HTTP is stateless. All of us use sites where session continuity is managed by trading cookies in plain text -- and these sessions are all subject to MITM attack. In fact, I'm transferring a cookie in plain text right now to post this here at www.daemonforums.org -- I can't post without it.

Another issue Hunt highlights is to pay close attention to the security of the complete chain of software used to deploy modern web applications. The chain can be both long and complex, and contain disparate program products and their libraries.

---

Interesting read, though I disagree with him regarding passwords vs. passphrases -- as he takes issue with my favorite XKCD comic. Mathematically, bits of entropy are key to placing brute force attack successes into sufficiently long polynomial time. To do that we need to ensure our randomly chosen passphrase words are sufficiently random to provide that entropy.

Last edited by jggimi; 16th August 2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: typo
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2012
bsdstudent

Hi jggimi !
Even with the 'never accept cookies' setting , we are using some willy-nilly ? and those certificates : are they really trustworthy ? & certificate authorities , intermediates .. Can't we really do without such mediation ??
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th August 2012
More noise than signal

You had two questions.

Quote:
Even with the 'never accept cookies' setting , we are using some willy-nilly ?
If cookies are not stored on disk, you establish your identity to start your session each time. But you still have temporary cookies -- in particular, a session ID, that allows the web application to know that it is YOU it is talking to. Here, for example, is an excerpt from tcpdump(8) from this current session as I clicked the "Preview Post" button on the vbb editor just now. You can see there is a lot of personal information sent in the clear.
Code:
POST /newreply.php?do=postreply&t=7374 HTTP/1.1
Host: www.daemonforums.org
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; OpenBSD i386; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0.1
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Connection: keep-alive
Referer: http://www.daemonforums.org/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=7374
Cookie: bblastvisit=<ten digits>; bblastactivity=0; bbuserid=<xx>; 
bbpassword=<some hex>; bbsessionhash=<some more hex>
Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
Content-Length: 856
Quote:
those certificates : are they really trustworthy
Yes.. and No. The purpose of a certificate is to validate that the website is that of the certificate holder and no one else. Certificate Authorities exist to provide a Chain of Trust -- and as we have seen, some CAs have abused or broken their trust.
Less commonly, certificates are installed in browsers to validate the user's identity in similar fashion.
Browser makers keep lists of CAs who they trust. And as we have seen they revoke certifications when trust fails. However, certificates are currently the most common way to establish identification of a public facing web server.

We won't solve this problem here, and of course it is outside the scope of discussion I'd started.

Last edited by jggimi; 17th August 2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: added user certs
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th August 2012
bsdstudent

Thank you jggimi !!
I've always benefited from your posts ..
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2012
Tcpdump Spy

The most common encryption used is the 8-bit ASCII cipher.

Actually, KPN, the largest Dutch Telecom, once claimed their passwords are encrypted using UTF-8 They also owned DigiNotar.