DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Old 12th September 2020
More noise than signal

For clarity, a clean installation of a snapshot is NOT an upgrade after installing 6.7-release, as you've described in this thread.
Old 13th September 2020
Spam Deminer

As I expected NetBSD and Debian Linux are also not compatible with this new machine. I do not like FreeBSD but it runs on this hardware. (As well as FreeBSD can be expected to work that is.) So it looks like I must suffer with it until OpenBSD's harware support catches up.
Old 13th September 2020
More noise than signal

I hope you're able to get your new laptop working well with FreeBSD.

From here -- based solely on what you've posted in this thread -- it appears that your problems with OpenBSD are partially due to the hardware, and partially due to your administrative and provisioning decisions.
Old 13th September 2020
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacerdos_daemonis View Post
I would have simply posted the entire output of the pkg_add message, but the only method I have to record it is pen and paper. Lots of "because of libraries", "minor too small", "major too small" and "cannot resolve" with any package I tried.
To share the pkg_add(1) output pipe it to a pastebin:
Code:
# pkg_add $package | curl -F 'f:1=<-' ix.io
^ That will return a URL which can be posted here.

I've seen those messages before though, did you remember to run this command first:
Code:
# pkg_add -u
EDIT: oops, jggimi already suggested that.
Quote:
As I expected NetBSD and Debian Linux are also not compatible with this new machine.
Debian buster should work with third-generation Ryzen if you use the backported kernel (see my guide here) along with the firmware-amd-graphics package from the buster-backports repository.

I've made an ISO image that will install a Debian stable system using those packages automatically: https://github.com/Head-on-a-Stick/newer-buster

Feel free to open a thread over at http://forums.debian.net if you need more assistance but be aware that I've banned myself from those boards until Tuesday
Spam Deminer

If the laptop has a Windows 10 licence sticker, why not just throw Windows 10 on until OpenBSD hardware support catches up? Certainly preferable to wading through a plethora of Linux distributions, just to get a working system...

I can't recommend FreeBSD on laptops, but "YMMV".

If you do go Linux, just install something as supported and current as you can find. Ubuntu or fedora might be worth looking at. Debian stable will require a newer kernel and hours, if not days, of messing, just to get a half decent system up and running - and then you will probably be tweaking the thing for weeks to come... I would personally avoid that, purely because I have no desire to revisit Debian and familiarise myself with that all over again.
Old 15th September 2020
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
If the laptop has a Windows 10 licence sticker, why not just throw Windows 10 on
Have you ever actually used Windows 10? It is a horrible operating system and regularly hi-jacks the machine for forced update cycles, sometimes for extended periods. And that's without considering the built-in telemetry and spyware — the EULA is quite clear that every single keystroke will be recorded and sent to Microsoft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Debian stable will require a newer kernel and hours, if not days, of messing, just to get a half decent system up and running - and then you will probably be tweaking the thing for weeks to come...
^ This is nonsense.

I've helped several people who have the same CPU/iGPU combination as the OP get Debian stable working on their hardware[0] and it takes literally three commands:
Code:
# tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list <<<'deb https://deb.debian.org/debian buster-backports main contrib non-free'
# apt update
# apt install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 firmware-amd-graphics
That's it. Even for the slowest of typists it takes a matter of minutes rather than hours or days.

[0] Here's an example with a ThinkPad X395: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.p...46383&p=722591
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_on_a_Stick View Post
Have you ever actually used Windows 10?
Yes, using it right now. 5 days per week at work and at home as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_on_a_Stick View Post
It is a horrible operating system and regularly hi-jacks the machine for forced update cycles, sometimes for extended periods. And that's without considering the built-in telemetry and spyware — the EULA is quite clear that every single keystroke will be recorded and sent to Microsoft.
I believe that's in the "privacy" statement. You can turn all of that off, just as you have to configure your web browser in order to "opt out", to have any semblance of privacy at all, to disable google's built in tracking, plus the plethora of data mining and tracking found on most websites today, which require addons such as script blockers to circumvent. And that's before we even take by the far the most common OS in use by Joe Public - Android - into account.

Forced updates for Windows 10 were abandoned middle of last year. It was a failed strategy.

I agree that telemetry, especially "inking and typing" (key logger) is very obnoxious (as is the tendency by MS to keep renaming these services in order to secretly re-enable them during a major update), but if you can disable it all - then to me it's acceptable - in that MS software is sometimes a necessary evil (I can't, for example, tell the company I work for to use e.g. Debian, out of some ideological reasoning...) which we unfortunately still have to live with.

If we could all claim to source everything else we use and consume ethically and were confident that none of our actions or buying choices did not affect others / the planet or involve "evil" companies - then I'm sure we could all use a free OS and wag our fingers at those who don't, as many Linux fans like to do.
Old 15th September 2020
Spam Deminer

@jggimi
Quote:
it appears that your problems with OpenBSD are partially due to the hardware, and partially due to your administrative and provisioning decisions.
That is a very polite way of saying due to my lack of ability (incompetence). Which is completely correct.

@cynwulf
Quote:
If the laptop has a Windows 10 licence sticker, why not just throw Windows 10 on until OpenBSD hardware support catches up? Certainly preferable to wading through a plethora of Linux distributions, just to get a working system...
I most likely could take the machine back to the market and pay to have Windows reinstalled. But OpenBSD's hardware support is close, so paying for a couple months of convenience probably would not be worth it.

@Head_on_a_Stick
Quote:
Debian buster should work with third-generation Ryzen if you use the backported kernel (see my guide here) along with the firmware-amd-graphics package from the buster-backports repository.
Perhaps, but the effort might not be necessary. See my next post.

Last edited by sacerdos_daemonis; 15th September 2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 15th September 2020
Spam Deminer

I did a very long experiment. It might be unorthodox enough for people to want to burn me at the stake, but I was influenced by the problem of not being able to install packages.

I installed 6.7
installed all the third-party packages I want
upgraded to -current with sysupgrade -s
upgraded the packages with pkg_add -u -v

The result is a working system. (at the moment) I made these two posts with the new machine using -current. How long the system works is another story. Launching Iridium produced an error
Quote:
amdgpu: os_same_file_description couldn't determine if two DRM fds reference the same file description. If they do, bad things may happen!
So I do not know if the system will still be working tomorrow, but it is a huge step forward.

IF the system continues working it want to eventually go back to using a -release. If -current is working on this hardware is it safe to assume 6.8 will work or would it be safer to wait until 6.9?
Old 15th September 2020
Spam Deminer

Quote:
@cynwulf
I most likely could take the machine back to the market and pay to have Windows reinstalled. But OpenBSD's hardware support is close, so paying for a couple months of convenience probably would not be worth it.
If you already have a 10 licence sticker on the device you don't need to pay. Just download installation media and burn to disc...
Old 15th September 2020
Spam Deminer

That is a surprise. I thought Microsoft would want me to buy a copy of Windows.
Old 15th September 2020
Spam Deminer

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10
Old 15th September 2020
More noise than signal

Quote:
@jggimi
That is a very polite way of saying due to my lack of ability (incompetence). Which is completely correct.
Perhaps, but you are impatient for solutions, and unwilling to dialog at forum-post speeds. You jump to alternative solutions or to experiments without waiting for responses, or letting us even know if our advice worked or not. A case in point:
Quote:
I did a very long experiment. It might be unorthodox enough for people to want to burn me at the stake, but I was influenced by the problem of not being able to install packages.

I installed 6.7
installed all the third-party packages I want
upgraded to -current with sysupgrade -s
upgraded the packages with pkg_add -u -v
You've moved from FreeBSD back to OpenBSD. When you installed, you performed exactly the same steps of installing -release and upgrading to -current that I recommended against due to your prior package database problems. A clean installation, which I'd recommended earlier in this thread, would have been installing -current directly, without starting with -release.
Quote:
The result is a working system. (at the moment) I made these two posts with the new machine using -current. How long the system works is another story.
Launching Iridium produced an error....
As before, we only have the information you're able and willing to post. All we know is that Iridium broke for you. This is unfortunate, but without more information, no one can help you with it. You must capture an error message and present it in its entirety. "How do I get iridium to log errors so I can copy/paste them here" would be a valid question to ask. If you had asked it, I would have said: "a) use script(1) in a terminal window to start a logged shell, b) start Iridium from that shell, c) exit that shell to close the logged typescript file, d) run $ col -b < typescript > my.output.file to eliminate control characters, then copy/paste the resulting error message on the forum."
Quote:
So I do not know if the system will still be working tomorrow, but it is a huge step forward.
If you'd like to start again with a clean install of the snapshot, a) reboot your system, at the boot> prompt, enter "bsd.rd" to load and run the RAMDISK kernel, then at the "(I)nstall, (U)pgrade, (A)utoinstall or (S)hell?" prompt, enter "i". But check the snapshot date at your nearby repository, and download a new bsd.rd file and move to your root directory if you need a new one.
Quote:
IF the system continues working it want to eventually go back to using a -release. If -current is working on this hardware is it safe to assume 6.8 will work or would it be safer to wait until 6.9?
Your -current system is already "6.8-beta". The majority of 6.8 development has already completed.
Old 16th September 2020
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
A clean installation, which I'd recommended earlier in this thread, would have been installing -current directly, without starting with -release.
a) reboot your system, at the boot> prompt, enter "bsd.rd" to load and run the RAMDISK kernel, then at the "(I)nstall, (U)pgrade, (A)utoinstall or (S)hell?" prompt, enter "i".
That is what I did the first time and the result was a broken system. Which is why I tried an upgrade.

Quote:
All we know is that Iridium broke for you.
It is not broken. It works fine. I just mentioned a warning displayed in the terminal. I was not looking for a solution. I mentioned it to demonstrate that my experiment may or may not be successful. If I was worried about it I would have asked for help.

Quote:
As before, we only have the information you're able and willing to post.
The post was not a call for help. The purpose was informational. To let others know that support for this hardware will probably be complete for 6.8. If not, then definitely for 6.9.
Old 16th September 2020
More noise than signal

Quote:
That is what I did the first time and the result was a broken system. Which is why I tried an upgrade.
This is new information. You described installing -release, then packages, then upgrading -- 3 times -- in posts #13, #20, and #29.
Quote:
It is not broken. It works fine. I just mentioned a warning displayed in the terminal.
Sorry for misunderstanding the word "error" in your post about it.
Quote:
The post was not a call for help. The purpose was informational. To let others know that support for this hardware will probably be complete for 6.8. If not, then definitely for 6.9.
The most recent information we have about your hardware is a dmesg(8) that shows only a single CPU is functional. If that is still the case, it is unlikely that a fix for that issue will be included in 6.8, unless you are willing and able to submit a bug report about your hardware to the Project soon, and a developer is able to take action based on your report. As noted above (and in the top line of your dmesg(8)), -current is currently named "6.8-beta" in preparation for release. You will be able to "upgrade" from this snapshot to 6.8-release upon its announcement and publication, as the release has not yet been formalized -- tagged in CVS. If you stay on -current and upgrade from snapshot to snapshot, you will eventually be on a -current which has moved ahead of 6.8-release, and must re-install if you wish to return to the release, as downgrades are not supported.

Additionally, no one outside the Project has insight into development schedules and can commit to any new support or features for 6.9.

Reporting bugs: http://www.openbsd.org/report.html
Old 16th September 2020
Spam Deminer

Again for informative purpose, all four processors appear to be functioning.
Code:
cpu0: 64KB 64b/line 4-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 512KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache, 4MB 64b/line 16-way L3 cache
cpu0: ITLB 64 4KB entries fully associative, 64 4MB entries fully associative
cpu0: DTLB 64 4KB entries fully associative, 64 4MB entries fully associative
cpu0: smt 0, core 0, package 0
mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support, 8 var ranges, 88 fixed ranges
cpu0: apic clock running at 24MHz
cpu0: mwait min=64, max=64, C-substates=1.1, IBE
cpu1 at mainbus0: apid 1 (application processor)
cpu1: AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx, 2595.13 MHz, 17-18-01
cpu1: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,PCLMUL,MWAIT,SSSE3,FMA3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMCR8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,3DNOWP,OSVW,SKINIT,TCE,TOPEXT,CPCTR,DBKP,PCTRL3,MWAITX,ITSC,FSGSBASE,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,RDSEED,ADX,SMAP,CLFLUSHOPT,SHA,IBPB,XSAVEOPT,XSAVEC,XGETBV1,XSAVES
cpu1: 64KB 64b/line 4-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 512KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache, 4MB 64b/line 16-way L3 cache
cpu1: ITLB 64 4KB entries fully associative, 64 4MB entries fully associative
cpu1: DTLB 64 4KB entries fully associative, 64 4MB entries fully associative
cpu1: disabling user TSC (skew=-3051790313)
cpu1: smt 1, core 0, package 0
cpu2 at mainbus0: apid 2 (application processor)
cpu2: AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx, 2595.13 MHz, 17-18-01
cpu2: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,PCLMUL,MWAIT,SSSE3,FMA3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMCR8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,3DNOWP,OSVW,SKINIT,TCE,TOPEXT,CPCTR,DBKP,PCTRL3,MWAITX,ITSC,FSGSBASE,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,RDSEED,ADX,SMAP,CLFLUSHOPT,SHA,IBPB,XSAVEOPT,XSAVEC,XGETBV1,XSAVES
cpu2: 64KB 64b/line 4-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 512KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache, 4MB 64b/line 16-way L3 cache
cpu2: ITLB 64 4KB entries fully associative, 64 4MB entries fully associative
cpu2: DTLB 64 4KB entries fully associative, 64 4MB entries fully associative
cpu2: disabling user TSC (skew=-3051790261)
cpu2: smt 0, core 1, package 0
cpu3 at mainbus0: apid 3 (application processor)
cpu3: AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx, 2595.13 MHz, 17-18-01
cpu3: FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT,SSE3,PCLMUL,MWAIT,SSSE3,FMA3,CX16,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,MOVBE,POPCNT,AES,XSAVE,AVX,F16C,RDRAND,NXE,MMXX,FFXSR,PAGE1GB,RDTSCP,LONG,LAHF,CMPLEG,SVM,EAPICSP,AMCR8,ABM,SSE4A,MASSE,3DNOWP,OSVW,SKINIT,TCE,TOPEXT,CPCTR,DBKP,PCTRL3,MWAITX,ITSC,FSGSBASE,BMI1,AVX2,SMEP,BMI2,RDSEED,ADX,SMAP,CLFLUSHOPT,SHA,IBPB,XSAVEOPT,XSAVEC,XGETBV1,XSAVES
cpu3: 64KB 64b/line 4-way I-cache, 32KB 64b/line 8-way D-cache, 512KB 64b/line 8-way L2 cache, 4MB 64b/line 16-way L3 cache
cpu3: ITLB 64 4KB entries fully associative, 64 4MB entries fully associative
cpu3: DTLB 64 4KB entries fully associative, 64 4MB entries fully associative
cpu3: disabling user TSC (skew=-3051790313)
cpu3: smt 1, core 1, package 0
I am in the process of gradually testing applications. Thus far I have only had one problem. (System freeze when playing a video with mpv.) It looks like the system can be used for work but not for play. Since the situation will be temporary it is acceptable.

In case anyone believes I am hiding something a dmesg.txt is included.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dmesg.txt (12.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 16th September 2020
More noise than signal

Excellent news regarding your CPUs!