DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

View Poll Results: what linux distro do you use and/or like?
Redhat / Centos 24 15.09%
Suse 4 2.52%
Debian 36 22.64%
Slackware 30 18.87%
Gentoo 13 8.18%
Ubuntu 23 14.47%
Others 29 18.24%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th April 2009
UNIX lover

@carpetsmoker, well you could try too g4u, http://fehu.org/~feyrer/g4u/
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
@carpetsmoker, well you could try too g4u, http://fehu.org/~feyrer/g4u/
It's not the same, Norton Ghost reads NTFS filesystems and copies stuff file-by-file, ghost4unix copies sector-by-sector (like dd) and is much slower.
It also can't do things like resizing the filesystem or skipping files....
More noise than signal

It's not *like* dd, it *is* dd.
Old 14th April 2009
UNIX lover

>file-by-file

Well yes, I see this as a disadvantage. But performance-wise it's sometimes PITA.
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukov View Post
All desktop computers at work run Ubuntu. This is why I also use it as a Desktop. It just works. However, I haven't tried that much Linux distributions. For other needs, I run *BSDs.
where do you work?
Old 28th May 2009
Port Guard

My system runs Windows XP, Mepis (a Debian based), and Dragonfly BSD.
Old 5th December 2010
Shell Scout

Primary: Hackintosh 10.6 64bits/Linux from scratch 32bits.
Testbox: (currently) minix 3.
Old 5th December 2010
VPN Cryptographer

How many years must this thread drag on? The other forum has a similar one that's been 2 years running.
Old 11th December 2010
Tcpdump Spy

Fedora Core 4 and 13 at work.

Took some getting used to, for example I set some stuff with the setsebool command, I then searched for some config file in /etc/ to make the change permanent. Apparently the changes are saved "automagically" ... The same applies to many other commands.
It certainly does things in a very different way once you dig a bit deeper ...

Other than that, the general "desktop" experience (Which is tcsh/vim/tmux/grep/etc.) is pretty much the same ...
Open Source Software user

Linux distros that I use are AntiX & SliTaz.
Shell Scout

I don't use Linux anymore. If I did it would be LFS, Draco, or LSD Linux. All of them work with pkgsrc and can be setup or come stock without systemd. LSD (less systemd) comes in a KDE version and a Base version. I'd use the Base.
Old 28th July 2014
Spam Deminer

Used to use Debian and have been a Slackware user until recently.

The former went with systemd, the latter is still one of the few saner Linux distributions out there and is the only Linux distro I would recommend to others.

Debian's decision to go with systemd just confirmed my own suspicions that Red Hat have too much influence over the GNU/Linux eco system - and of course Canonical have too much influence over the Debian project itself. Despite developing their own init system, they were quick to also switch to systemd as soon as Debian made the announcement.

The wider problem with GNU/Linux is that it's not just about free software and GNU anymore. That seems to have gone out of fashion. Corporations now play a much bigger role.

It's interesting that the GPL licenses were supposed to be about freeing software entirely. But instead we've seen corporations simply owning or influencing the people and the projects themselves in order to control and manipulate the GPL software - (if they can't own it and close it off, then they steer it in whichever direction which suits them). systemd is just one example of a corporate backed putsch which is pretty much infesting everything.

The BSD licenses. which have been criticised by some for being too permissive, at least allows the big corporations to take what they want and leave the FOSS projects alone (unless they want to throw some money their way or donate some hardware, etc).
Old 29th July 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Debian's decision to go with systemd just confirmed my own suspicions that Red Hat have too much influence over the GNU/Linux eco system - and of course Canonical have too much influence over the Debian project itself. Despite developing their own init system, they were quick to also switch to systemd as soon as Debian made the announcement.
etc).
When somebody contributes 85% of entire Linux kernel (like Red Hat) it seems very natural to call the shoots. The second largest contributor to Linux kernel is SUSE with more than 10%. Due to Debian's negligible contribution just like Canonical to Linux kernel it seems natural that they follow the leader. At least Canonical is footing the bill for Gnome. Debian is truly a hobby project and probably the largest contribution is that OpenSSL bug which they introduced couple of years ago to avoid compilation warrnings.

Quote:
The BSD licenses. which have been criticised by some for being too permissive, at least allows the big corporations to take what they want and leave the FOSS projects alone (unless they want to throw some money their way or donate some hardware, etc).
You do not philosophically understand BSD licensing model which came out of academi and internal organization of BSDs at least until 1993.
Old 29th July 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
When somebody contributes 85% of entire Linux kernel (like Red Hat)
Where did you get "85%"?
Quote:
You do not philosophically understand BSD licensing model which came out of academi and internal organization of BSDs at least until 1993.
And what makes you say that based on what I posted? I only said that the BSD licenses were more "permissive" in that they are not copyleft, not as a any kind of criticism, just stating fact. I don't think that you should assume that you know what others understand / or not based on only a few forum posts...
Old 29th July 2014
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Where did you get "85%"?
I saw those statistics based upon Linux kernel git commits couple of years ago. I would be hard pressed to reproduce the source. I was very surprised with the fact that Debian and Canonical contribute very little to Linux kernel. As a matter of full disclosure I will state that when I have to use Linux I use only Red Hat derivatives but I honestly have no horse in Red Hat vs Debian race. My preference is not to use Linux whenever possible to use BSDs instead.

Quote:
Where did you get "85%"?
And what makes you say that based on what I posted? I only said that the BSD licenses were more "permissive" in that they are not copyleft, not as a any kind of criticism, just stating fact. I don't think that you should assume that you know what others understand / or not based on only a few forum posts...
I appologize for the part of the post you found incorrect and offensive. Sometimes it is hard to read people just based on their posts and e-mails.

Last edited by Oko; 29th July 2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 30th July 2014
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
When somebody contributes 85% of entire Linux kernel (like Red Hat) it seems very natural to call the shoots.
The question of course is, are the contributions really worthwhile for the rest of the community?

The standard example of course is systemd. Many people feel the world would be a better place without it...

More code does not equal a better system.

Last edited by Carpetsmoker; 30th July 2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 30th July 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
I saw those statistics based upon Linux kernel git commits couple of years ago. I would be hard pressed to reproduce the source. I was very surprised with the fact that Debian and Canonical contribute very little to Linux kernel. As a matter of full disclosure I will state that when I have to use Linux I use only Red Hat derivatives but I honestly have no horse in Red Hat vs Debian race. My preference is not to use Linux whenever possible to use BSDs instead.
According to the Linux Development report they only contributed about 10% last year: http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-contributors/

Corporations play a big role, but a single entity has never been responsible for more than about 15% of the code, let alone 85%.
Quote:
I appologize for the part of the post you found incorrect and offensive. Sometimes it is hard to read people just based on their posts and e-mails.
Fair enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
The question of course is, are the contributions really worthwhile for the rest of the community?
That's debatable. Most development is self serving by nature and when some individual, organisation or corporation is contributing to something like the Linux kernel, it's because they're going to benefit from it. Whether Red Hat's commits are really beneficial to the average end user, or geared mainly towards it's enterprise customers and pushing systemd remains to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
The canonical example of course is systemd. Many people feel the world would be a better place without it...
As much as I'd like to blame Canonical for systemd, it's a Red Hat product. Canonical's similar init system was upstart, they have recently announced that they will be abandoning it and also jumping on the systemd bandwagon.
Old 30th July 2014
Tcpdump Spy

I intended 'canonical' as in the normal usage of the word, I wasn't referring to the company. I edited my previous post to remove any confusion.
ISO Quartermaster

Darn--I got a message that there was a response, and came here to make a pun, saying, no, actually, it was RedHat, but you were too quick. :-(
Old 30th July 2014
PrinceCruise

Quote:
Most development is self serving by nature and when some individual, organization or corporation is contributing to something like the Linux kernel, it's because they're going to benefit from it. Whether Red Hat's commits are really beneficial to the average end user, or geared mainly towards it's enterprise customers and pushing systemd remains to be seen.
This.

Regards.