DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th April 2016
Rc.conf Instructor

Default ZFS replication and iocage

I asked this question on Google group list of now dead Jail management tool for FreeBSD (iocage)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ge/-vV7PHKH5tk

The timing of this post might be little unfortunate as iocage seems dead but one of the reasons that I foolishly chose to run several services on two FreeBSD jail hosts was ability to take advantage of ZFS via iocage. Namely I am taking regularly the snapshots of the jails using the cron job. I was wondering how people remotely replicate those snapshots (zfs send or zxfer or zfs-replicate) The idea is obvious. I would like to have hourly snaphosts of my current jail instances on the remote host and to be able to import them and fire them up on the short notice if the first host malfunction.

I just read Michael Lucas' FreeBSD Mastery: Advanced ZFS

https://www.michaelwlucas.com/nonfiction/fmaz

and even though the whole chapter is devoted to Jail specific topics as well as parts of the last chapter Pot-pourri I could not find any authoritative advise to my question above. Any takers?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th April 2016
ISO Quartermaster

I don't have an answer, but from what I gather from https://github.com/iocage/iocage/com...313c5df5865183 rather than iocage being dead, it is being rewritten in ruby. (And like you, I'm troubled, as we'd planned to start using it for anything new. The author promises that the migration path will be easy, but who knows?)

Other discussion--and maybe it's being rewritten in go?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ge/Us5WwT00TKk

Which seems a bit more current.

(Sorry to take it off topic, just that I was completely unaware of that, so this is being written for the next person who comes across it and says, as I did, "WHAT???")

And apologies to everyone else for thread hijacking.

Last edited by scottro; 28th April 2016 at 06:08 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th April 2016
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottro View Post
I don't have an answer, but from what I gather from https://github.com/iocage/iocage/com...313c5df5865183 rather than iocage being dead
Hi Scottro,

I don't want to get into too much discussion about iocage future. It is going to be rewritten in Go. My understanding is that original author has being contracted by iXsystems to rewrite the tool. The old version 1.7.4 written in shell can be forked and maintained. Original author was very helpful when I had questions about the tool. I understand his logic completely. Long term he made the right decision as he was hitting the limits of what can be done in shell. I understand iXsystems position as well.
Unfortunately as I told him in a private e-mail I just many other people who came to depend on iocage have no luxury of waiting 2 years for his new code to stabilize before I can use so from my prospective iocage is dead. He also understand my logic. I am not the only one who thinks that way and there are several people who cut the losses and already moved on. I am for now sticking with the shell version. If I was not so vested into ZFS and Jails I would probably stay away as far as possible.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th April 2016
ISO Quartermaster

Thanks very much for the input. I understand their logic of course, and to be honest, I'm glad about iXsystems supporting it. Honestly, I don't know what we're going to do at this point, but we'll figure something out.

Thanks again.