DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 29th March 2009
Administrator

@Carpetsmoker

What battery you got there, 6-cell propably?

Share your battery time later cause all the rest should work flawlesly

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 30th March 2009
Tcpdump Spy

My old T61 lasted about 2.5-3 hours with a 6-cell, this one probably lasts about the same...

Problem is, you can't order a lot of laptops with 9 cell batteries ...

A 9 cell battery is about 150EUR, bit too expensive, so I'll just use the 6 cell ...
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
My old T61 lasted about 2.5-3 hours with a 6-cell, this one probably lasts about the same...
Mine d630 similar when it got 6-cell.

Quote:
Problem is, you can't order a lot of laptops with 9 cell batteries ...

A 9 cell battery is about 150EUR, bit too expensive, so I'll just use the 6 cell ...
Nice price, that would be 690zl in Poland while I was able to get mine new 9-cell for 170zl ... makes a difference, but that was before all that "crysis" stuff.

I also saw that ThinkPads and its accesories are more expensive then the same Latitude setup, if it comes to the accesories, the price difference is even bigger, 9-cell battery would cost me about 270zl.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
Old 30th March 2009
Tcpdump Spy

After looking around I saw one (new) for 120EUR from a different reseller, maybe there are cheaper ones on eBay ... Didn't look there yet.

btw.
Until last week (When you mentioned the Złoty) I thought Poland used the Euro ... Apparently not :-/

Quote:
I also saw that ThinkPads and its accesories are more expensive then the same Latitude setup, if it comes to the accesories, the price difference is even bigger, 9-cell battery would cost me about 270zl.
Using newprices, thinkpad is significantly cheaper than Dell ... Maybe Dell go cheaper on eBay and stuff, didn't compare that.
Administrator

Quote:
After looking around I saw one (new) for 120EUR from a different reseller, maybe there are cheaper ones on eBay ... Didn't look there yet.
I bought everything used (including laptop) on allegro (polish equivalent of ebay).

Quote:
btw.
Until last week (When you mentioned the Złoty) I thought Poland used the Euro ... Apparently not :-/
Yeah, we are still retarded here ;p

Quote:
Using newprices, thinkpad is significantly cheaper than Dell ... Maybe Dell go cheaper on eBay and stuff, didn't compare that.
Lenovo T400 starts with $869 on lenovo.com while Dell E6400 starts with $769 at dell.com

Old 21st August 2009
Port Guard

Default excuse me....

hello..
after a few while,i finish my exam, now one more step to me to become a general practitioner...
well, straight into a question, i heard that there is a patch for freebsd to handle the acpi problem in acer laptops...

do someone here know about it ?
Old 21st August 2009
Administrator

@garfield270584

Havent heard about that, but I do not put any interest in Acer hardware, but you can search lists.freebsd.org for that patch mate.

Old 21st August 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Not specific to FreeBSD, but I found this to be pretty informative:
http://www.screentekinc.com/pixelbright-lcds.shtml

Personally for me, I also prefer mat screens for graphics and watching DVD's, the glare screens just seem ``off'' to me ... Glare screens just seem like a cheap blingbling marketing trick to me ...
Port Guard

Default custom laptops

dear all,
Hey, i heard about diy laptop or barebooks, somekind of it. is it resolve solution about the limited hardware support of freebsd ?
i want to buy one of diy laptops, what is your comment ?

thanks alot,

Last edited by garfield270584; 24th August 2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 1st September 2009
New User

Hi vermaden,

I have already worked with "Dell Inspiron 4000" for 5.0 FreeBSD.
Currently, i am working with Sony VAIO Z600RE for 5.0C (01/01) freeBSD.

* For Sony VIAO Z600RE:

--> What doesn't work is infrared, sony memorystick.
--> Limited support for Sony jogdial. Sound is sometimes a bit flaky.
--> Firewire I haven't tested.
--> The rest is working just fine: built-in ethernet, USB(including floppy), PCMCIA.

* For Dell Inspiron 4000:

--> I used a generic 5.0 kernel, which I installed from CD-ROM. This is a dual-boot machine, with windows me on the first 4GB slice and FreeBSD on the remaining 16GB. Also, I seem to have annihilated the windows video and CD-RW drivers during the repartition.

--> I am using XF86_Mach64, version 4.0.2. I had no luck getting X to run with older (3.3.[5,6]) versions. But the new version works beautifully. I was fortunate enough to find an XF86Config file elsewhere, which I adapted to the particulars of this machine.

--> I am using a Linksys Ethernet PCMCIA card (model EC2T); this card is entered in /etc pccard.conf and worked without other modifications.

--> I have not yet attempted to configure the kernel for APM, nor have I explored sound. Aside from the problems I caused myself repartitioning the disk, the process went fairly smoothly. I am new to FreeBSD but i am very happy with it so far.
Old 1st September 2009
Administrator

Hi ingridseynhaeve,

FreeBSD 5.0?

Why you did not upgraded to 7.2 or at least 6.4?

Old 4th September 2009
Port Guard

hi all,
i've googling through web and finally found a patch in www.freebsdchina.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45399 to solve acpi problem in 5580. but, i cannot read it. so i follow it source to kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/2/8/788784. But i clueless, well i want to ask :
1. what is the patch doing to the laptop ?
2. is it work with freebsd ?
3. is there any risk using it ? Please tell me ....
4. how to patch it into thelaptop bios ?

Thanks,
Regards
garfield270584
Old 4th September 2009
Port Guard

Thanks Ocicat and Vermaden for replying. I would like to know your opinion about laptops. Can you suggest 2-3 laptop models with at least 2.5 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Disk and Full HD LED Screen. If you could mention the price as well, it would be great.

Regards
Old 4th September 2009
Administrator

Dunno for the price, but 15" IBM/Lenovo T61 come with optional HD resolution LED screen (do not remember exacly it it was LED), Also Dell Latitude E6500 and Precision would do that.

Old 4th September 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamemaniac View Post
Can you suggest 2-3 laptop models with at least...
Your question is rather nebulous.
  • What is your goal?
  • What applications do you intend to run?
  • Which *BSD are you using?
vermaden. you may want to split this thread given that it has strayed from the OP's intent...
Old 4th September 2009
Administrator

Some posts moved here (primary laptop thread):
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1881

Old 15th September 2009
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield270584 View Post
hi all,
i've googling through web and finally found a patch in www.freebsdchina.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45399 to solve acpi problem in 5580. but, i cannot read it. so i follow it source to kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/2/8/788784. But i clueless, well i want to ask :
1. what is the patch doing to the laptop ?
2. is it work with freebsd ?
3. is there any risk using it ? Please tell me ....
4. how to patch it into thelaptop bios ?

Thanks,
Regards
garfield270584
That patch is for Linux, not FreeBSD. So it won't work for FreeBSD

The comment in the patch mentions what it does:

Code:
+/*
+ * Most BIOS that invoke OSI(Linux) do nothing with it.
+ * But some cause Linux to break.
+ * Only a couple use it to make Linux run better.
+ *
+ * Thus, Linux should continue to disable OSI(Linux) by default,
+ * should continue to discourage BIOS writers from using it, and
+ * should whitelist the few existing systems that require it.
+ *
+ * If it appears clear a vendor isn't using OSI(Linux)
+ * for anything constructive, blacklist them by name to disable
+ * unnecessary dmesg warnings on all of their products.
+ */
I have no idea if this is easy to port to FreeBSD. You're probably better off posting this to current@.
Port Guard

running FreeBSD 8.1 on a Dell Inspiron 1720 120G HD, 4G 667mhz ram with intel 950g / wireless/modem/nic combo card* with 17" 1920x1080 screen, TP-LINK TL-WN321G usb nic

upon install I had to tweek it a touch

*bios .. disable the HDD operation (make sure ATA is enabled BEFORE you install or it will croak)

after install just make sure the following are in your kernel

device ehci
device uhci
device ohci
device wlan
device wlan_amrr

add

snd_hda_load="YES"
to
/boot/loader.conf

and

hint.pcm.0.vol="100"
to
/boot/device.hints

For the life of me I could NOT get the combo /modem/net/wifi card working. (the wired lan did work upon install) to solve this opened it up.. ripped the combo card out .. stomped it to itty bitty pieces and got myself a TP-LINK (TLWNG32) USB Network card for 20$ .. It works great and I feel a lot better .. FBSD on this rig is nothing short of an AWESOME desktop..
Old 9th December 2010
Administrator

That depends WHAT Your wifi was, U have had there 3945ABG whose support is not that well, but everythign works, the wireless connection just sometimes needs to be restarted, thats all.

D630 can also be equopped with 4965AGN which works very good (I have used that one in Lenovo X300).

Dell also offered some other wireless cards in D630, dunno how they work.

... and in the end, its just mini-pci-express slot, You can put ANY wireless card there, even some good well supported Atheros card.

Old 27th February 2011
New User

I have a a Acer aspire 3000 about 6 years old. I got the wireless working withe help of biw (see manpage at freeBSD.org)

It was a lot easier than Linux : ) ever was

everything works well