DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2016
just passing through

Default SQLite configuration in 5.8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzer View Post
Have you considered Tcl/Tk:SQLite?

Tcl and SQLite work very well together. I think I remember hearing Dr. Richard Hipp (SQLite creator & maintainer) say that "SQLite started as a Tcl extension and then was released into the wilds".

The Tk extension for creating portable GUI's is also deeply related to Tcl.
I just installed tcl-8.6 from the packages on my fresh 5.8-stable system, then:

$ tclsh8.6
% package require sqlite3

And this gives an error. Does anyone know if this is:
  1. Intentionally (for a considered reason) the default system configuration?
  2. The default Ports build configuration?
    Can Tcl and/or SQLite be rebuilt from Ports with configuration options set such that SQLite can be loaded as a Tcl extension?
    Was the system SQLite built with the fts5 (Full Text Search 5) capabilities? (I could test this when I get back to the machine (it's a very new installation so I am forum'ing from a CentOS laptop)).
    If not, is that something can that be configured in the Ports?
  3. Finally, how might replacing the default system SQLite with a differently configured SQLite (sorry for the battology) have detrimental effects?
Brief documentation at: "SQLite In 5 Minutes Or Less".
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2016
Administrator

This post has been separated from its parent thread as that thread asked for suggestions on databases for personal use. This post asks about specific information on the sqlite3(1) port's configuration.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2016
More noise than signal

If you don't get an answer from a tcl user here, you might contact the $MAINTAINER.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2016
just passing through

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
If you don't get an answer from a tcl user here, you might contact the $MAINTAINER.
Yeah, it looks like a port bug. The sqlite-tcl package/port has tcl-8.5 as a dependency; I installed both and had the same problem.

The OpenBSD 5.8-stable that I am running seems to have an unusual number of problems in the Ports system. As of this morning, missing distfiles for www/lynx is preventing all kinds of stuff from building (web browsers, email readers, etc.) so I'm still forum'ing from a CentOS laptop. There has also been some funky behavior with Ports setting locks then waiting indefinitely on themselves... weird.

Is this rare? I mean, am I just incredibly unlucky that within a day of installing the OS I face a barrage of broken software?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2016
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzer View Post
As of this morning, missing distfiles for www/lynx...
I believe I might happen to have that for my -stable build machine. I'll look -- 5 or six hours from now -- and if I have it, I'll send you a link via PM.
Quote:
... is preventing all kinds of stuff from building...
You do not absolutely need to build ports which are build dependencies which themselves do not have -stable updates (such as lynx). Run dependencies may be a different matter, of course, but build dependencies are only needed for building.

# pkg_add -za `make full-build-depends`

That will install all build dependencies from your $PKG_PATH or /etc/pkg.conf(5). In the case of lynx, it did not have a -stable update itself, though I recall it may have been rebuilt on my -stable machine due to underlying dependencies with updates.
Quote:
Is this rare? I mean, am I just incredibly unlucky that within a day of installing the OS I face a barrage of broken software?
I'm not sitting over your shoulder, so I don't know if your difficulties have a single root cause. I can say that I have no significant difficulty trouble building hundreds of -stable packages, except for one distfile which the upstream had repackaged without notifying anyone. They changed the size and checksum of a tarball, but the internal contents were identical. http://marc.info/?t=145468995800002&r=1&w=2
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2016
just passing through

Quote:
You do not absolutely need to build ports which are build dependencies which themselves do not have -stable updates (such as lynx). Run dependencies may be a different matter, of course, but build dependencies are only needed for building.

# pkg_add -za `make full-build-depends`

That will install all build dependencies from your $PKG_PATH or /etc/pkg.conf(5). In the case of lynx, it did not have a -stable update itself, though I recall it may have been rebuilt on my -stable machine due to underlying dependencies with updates.
Holy cow! That's over my head.

I installed 5.8-release then installed some packages from the OpenBSD ftp site. After fetching the 5.8-stable sources {src,ports,xenocara} and building, I did something like # pkg_delete -X (from memory (don't trust this to be completely accurate)) to remove all packages from the system. Then I started building software from /usr/ports. I created a file with a list of Ports to build then ran /usr/ports/infrastructure/bin/dpb (my first experience with this tool). It seemed to build much of the software from the list and their dependencies, but other Ports failed to build - like www/lynx. This morning, I changed my PKG_PATH from the ftp mirror to /usr/ports/packages/i386/all (or something like that (again, from memory)) then did $ doas pkg_add ./*.tgz from that directory.

Sorry for the long story, but that puts you [virtually] over my shoulder .

Given all of that, what in the world does # pkg_add -za `make full-build-depends` do?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2016
More noise than signal

Any -stable ports are updates for CVEs or other significant security/stability issues. What we think of as "standard updates" don't get backported to -stable, they are part of -current until the next -release.

So you need not have deleted all packages. You'd only need to update those with -stable updates, or, those that depend upon -stable updates.

Take a look at http://semibug.org/building.stable.v1.pdf -- a presentation on bulk building -stable ports given at Semibug in December, which resulted from the thread I'd started here on the subject.

As to the command:
  • The make target produces a complete list of package names for all build dependencies, as documented in bsd.port.mk(8).
  • The pkg_add has two options: -z is "fuzzy," allowing the selection of the most recent package if there is a different revision in the tree than in $PKG_PATH, and the -a does an "automatic" install so that the dependencies can be easily deleted later with # pkg_delete -a. See the pkg_add(1) man page.

Last edited by jggimi; 15th February 2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: clarifying the value of -z
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2016
just passing through

Quote:
Take a look at http://semibug.org/building.stable.v1.pdf -- a presentation on bulk building -stable ports given at Semibug in December, which resulted from the thread I'd started here on the subject.
Awesome resource, Thanks! I monkey-patched around the missing www/lynx distfile by installing the lynx -release package from a mirror. Now the Ports build of www/dillo, mail/sylpheed, etc. can continue (seems to be working so far). Once basic communications are set up on the workstation (where I can keep notes, access docs, copy/paste, etc.), I will contact the Port maintainers (not looking forward to that!).

Thanks, jggimi!