Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd February 2012
Administrator

Default Chrome only future for Flash on Linux

From http://h-online.com/-1440104

Quote:
Adobe has announced that in future, the Flash Player for Linux will only be available through Google as part of the Google Chrome browser and not as a standalone download. The shipped plugin will also only support Chrome's plugin API. The changes will take effect after the release of Flash Player 11.2 later this year.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd February 2012
bsdstudent

Hi J65nko !
Does it mean in other words , that the bsds will have better flash support ?
Last time I used gecko-mediaplayer with firefox and it streamed slow .. sometimes it failed ..

Any security-risk consequences ? regarding chrome-part , google-part , flash-part ..
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2012
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
Hi J65nko !
Does it mean in other words , that the bsds will have better flash support ?
Last time I used gecko-mediaplayer with firefox and it streamed slow .. sometimes it failed ..

Any security-risk consequences ? regarding chrome-part , google-part , flash-part ..
I would expect the opposite
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2012
VPN Cryptographer

From what I gather, it seems Google has come up with a better Flash plugin. So Adobe is going to proceed with that one while letting the current plugin expire. Other browser vendors can use the new one if they wish but none have so far other than Chrome.

Adobe is moving on to developing HTML5 tools for audio and video. This may be an indication they are also moving on from Flash without saying as much. Though it may take years, Flash is probably dead.

HTML5 video and audio do not require plugins of any kind and runs on all browsers.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2012
Tcpdump Spy

Ehm ... Flash is bundled in Chrome and disabling it required obscure "advanced" control panels which are normally hidden.

HTML5 video doesn't work very well, frequently crashes (the entire browser), doesn't work fullscreen, etc. Fundamentally, HTML5 video is just as broken as flash.
Besides, HTML5 is !@#$@! annoying. Flash, I can disable, disabling HTML5 is more difficult. The first misplaced/unspotted HTML5 sounds and videos have already been spotted.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd February 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
...that the bsds will have better flash support ?
Not at all. Flash is a proprietary product of Adobe Systems Incorporated.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th February 2012
bsdstudent

sorry , I mean support for flash media .. not flash , the sofware ..
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th February 2012
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
HTML5 video doesn't work very well, frequently crashes (the entire browser), doesn't work fullscreen, etc.
Never had any crashing problems at all. YouTube videos are all being converted to HTML5. Give it time. In a couple years, it will be fundamental to everything.
Quote:
Fundamentally, HTML5 video is just as broken as flash.
So they're even.
Quote:
Besides, HTML5 is !@#$@! annoying. Flash, I can disable, disabling HTML5 is more difficult. The first misplaced/unspotted HTML5 sounds and videos have already been spotted.
I'm sure someone will come out with a addon for that.

I've yet to run into anything other than videos. No ads yet that I've noticed. In my little web dev company, we give NO consideration to flash anything anymore. Our full focus is on the new video/audio elements.

The only flash stuff you'll be seeing in the next few years will be by holdovers invested in it. As they die off or get out of the business, you'll see Flash fade away.

Then again, our customers are legitimate organizations and wouldn't put out the flash ad tripe you see so often.