DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th July 2008
Port Guard

Default screen casting via v4l

I would like to do some screen casting under linux. The catch, I don't want to output to a file -- I want to output as a v4l device. I have a desire to do a screencast through a v4l compatible application.

I have searched high and low for a solution to this, but have only found applications that will record to file (eg: recordmydesktop).

Anything that is in portage get preferential treatment as I don't want to screw around with compiling things manually and having it break when I update something. The application itself doesn't have to be all that simple though.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2008
Arp Constable

I usually use xvidcap whenever I need to video what is on screen (to file).

Your not overly specific but by what you've said so far, I would think that running two monitors where one is a clone of the first would be the most logical pursuit.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
I usually use xvidcap whenever I need to video what is on screen (to file).

Your not overly specific but by what you've said so far, I would think that running two monitors where one is a clone of the first would be the most logical pursuit.
Sorry about not being too clear. What I am looking for is to create a pseudo webcam, broadcasting my desktop, with the end result being a Video4Linux device (eg: /dev/video0).

I would then use an application, such as Ekiga, and then use this v4l device as my webcam.

Essentially, the flow would be:
Screen Capture -> v4l encoding -> v4l device -> video conference application

I hope that helps clear things up.