DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th September 2008
Spam Deminer

Default mlterm

hello
I'm running openbsd 4.3 on a macmini ppc g4
I need mlterm to have multilanguage support in terminal mode (I have no gui and will not have one). For some reason, the package is not compiled with uim support, so you need to install it from source to have it configured the way you need it. On my old notebook everything went fine, but here something seems to go wrong, and I cannot input chinese from terminal, and in the "mlconfig" window uim is not listed as a standalone input method, but only under XIM.
This is what I get with make, notice the warning at the end:

Code:
if [ -d kiklib ]; then cd kiklib ; make all ; fi
cd src ; make all
for file in kik_debug.h kik_map.h kik_args.h kik_mem.h kik_conf.h kik_file.h kik_path.h kik_conf_io.h kik_str.h kik_cycle_index.h kik_langinfo.h kik_time.h kik_locale.h kik_privilege.h kik_unistd.h kik_sig_child.h kik_list.h kik_iterator.h kik_types.h kik_util.h kik_def.h kik_net.h kik_pty.h kik_utmp.h kik_dlfcn.h ; do cp ../src/${file} ../include/kiklib ; done
cp kik_config.h ../include/kiklib
if [ -d mkf ]; then cd mkf ; make all ; fi
cd lib ; make all
for file in mkf_parser.h mkf_iso2022_parser.h mkf_iso8859_parser.h mkf_xct_parser.h mkf_eucjp_parser.h mkf_euckr_parser.h mkf_euccn_parser.h mkf_iso2022jp_parser.h mkf_iso2022kr_parser.h mkf_sjis_parser.h mkf_big5_parser.h mkf_euctw_parser.h mkf_utf16_parser.h mkf_iso2022cn_parser.h mkf_hz_parser.h mkf_utf8_parser.h mkf_johab_parser.h mkf_viscii_parser.h mkf_8bit_parser.h mkf_iscii_parser.h mkf_utf32_parser.h mkf_iso8859_conv.h mkf_iso2022_conv.h mkf_iso2022jp_conv.h mkf_iso2022kr_conv.h mkf_sjis_conv.h mkf_utf8_conv.h mkf_big5_conv.h mkf_euctw_conv.h mkf_iso2022cn_conv.h mkf_hz_conv.h mkf_utf16_conv.h mkf_eucjp_conv.h mkf_euckr_conv.h mkf_euccn_conv.h mkf_johab_conv.h mkf_viscii_conv.h mkf_8bit_conv.h mkf_xct_conv.h mkf_iscii_conv.h mkf_utf32_conv.h mkf_ucs4_map.h mkf_locale_ucs4_map.h mkf_zh_cn_map.h mkf_zh_tw_map.h mkf_zh_hk_map.h mkf_ko_kr_map.h mkf_viet_map.h mkf_ja_jp_map.h mkf_ru_map.h mkf_uk_map.h mkf_tg_map.h mkf_char.h mkf_sjis_env.h  mkf_property.h mkf_ucs_property.h mkf_charset.h mkf_conv.h ; do cp ../lib/${file} ../include/mkf ; done
for dir in mlterm contrib/scrollbar/extra scrollbar/sample inputmethod/uim contrib/tool/mlcc contrib/tool/mlterm-menu tool/mlconfig tool/mlclient  xwindow man etc ; do (cd ${dir} ; make all) || exit  ; done
../../../libtool --mode=link gcc -o libathena.la athena.lo  -rpath /usr/local/lib/mlterm  -module -avoid-version   -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE -lX11
rm -fr .libs/libathena.la .libs/libathena.* .libs/libathena.*

*** Warning: inter-library dependencies are not known to be supported.
*** All declared inter-library dependencies are being dropped.

*** Warning: libtool could not satisfy all declared inter-library
*** dependencies of module libathena.  Therefore, libtool will create
*** a static module, that should work as long as the dlopening
*** application is linked with the -dlopen flag.
ar cru .libs/libathena.a  athena.o
ranlib .libs/libathena.a
creating libathena.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libathena.la && ln -s ../libathena.la libathena.la)
../../../libtool --mode=link gcc -o libmotif.la motif.lo  -rpath /usr/local/lib/mlterm  -module -avoid-version   -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE -lX11
rm -fr .libs/libmotif.la .libs/libmotif.* .libs/libmotif.*

*** dependencies of module libmotif.  Therefore, libtool will create
ar cru .libs/libmotif.a  motif.o
ranlib .libs/libmotif.a
creating libmotif.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libmotif.la && ln -s ../libmotif.la libmotif.la)
../../../libtool --mode=link gcc -o libmozmodern.la mozmodern.lo  -rpath /usr/local/lib/mlterm  -module -avoid-version   -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE -lX11
rm -fr .libs/libmozmodern.la .libs/libmozmodern.* .libs/libmozmodern.*

*** dependencies of module libmozmodern.  Therefore, libtool will create
ar cru .libs/libmozmodern.a  mozmodern.o
ranlib .libs/libmozmodern.a
creating libmozmodern.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libmozmodern.la && ln -s ../libmozmodern.la libmozmodern.la)
../../../libtool --mode=link gcc -o libnext.la next.lo  -rpath /usr/local/lib/mlterm  -module -avoid-version   -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE -lX11
rm -fr .libs/libnext.la .libs/libnext.* .libs/libnext.*

*** dependencies of module libnext.  Therefore, libtool will create
ar cru .libs/libnext.a  next.o
ranlib .libs/libnext.a
creating libnext.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libnext.la && ln -s ../libnext.la libnext.la)
../../libtool --mode=link gcc -o libsample.la x_sample_sb_view.lo x_transparent_sample_sb_view.lo x_sample_sb_view_lib.lo -rpath /usr/local/lib/mlterm  -module -avoid-version   -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE -lX11
rm -fr .libs/libsample.la .libs/libsample.* .libs/libsample.*

*** dependencies of module libsample.  Therefore, libtool will create
ar cru .libs/libsample.a  x_sample_sb_view.o x_transparent_sample_sb_view.o x_sample_sb_view_lib.o
ranlib .libs/libsample.a
creating libsample.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libsample.la && ln -s ../libsample.la libsample.la)
../../libtool --mode=link gcc -o libsample2.la x_sample2_sb_view.lo x_transparent_sample2_sb_view.lo x_sample_sb_view_lib.lo -rpath /usr/local/lib/mlterm  -module -avoid-version   -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE -lX11
rm -fr .libs/libsample2.la .libs/libsample2.* .libs/libsample2.*

*** dependencies of module libsample2.  Therefore, libtool will create
ar cru .libs/libsample2.a  x_sample2_sb_view.o x_transparent_sample2_sb_view.o x_sample_sb_view_lib.o
but then I don't know exactly what it means, I only know that uim works only in firefox and pidgin, but not in terminal (for example with alpine).
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosha View Post
On my old notebook everything went fine, but here something seems to go wrong...
What version of OpenBSD are/were you running on your laptop, & which processor was involved? PPC or i386?
Quote:
This is what I get with make, notice the warning at the end:
Various questions:
  • You either installed the ports tree infrastructure, ports.tar.gz, from the CD set, ftp, or installed the tree itself via CVS. Are you sure that the tree installed matches OpenBSD 4.3? More information explaining strange errors can be found in Section 15.4.1 of the FAQ:

http://openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html#NoFun
  • Quote:
    For some reason, the package is not compiled with uim support, so you need to install it from source to have it configured the way you need it.
    What changes have you done to the environment/Makefile in order to enable support?
  • Although the output posted shows warnings, there is no mention that building has halted due to an error. Was the package installed? What is the output of the following command:

$ pkg_info | grep mlterm
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th September 2008
More noise than signal

Quote:
...For some reason, the package is not compiled with uim support, so you need to install it from source to have it configured the way you need it.
Are you using the port? Or are you skipping the port and using the sourceforge project's raw source?
Quote:
On my old notebook everything went fine, but here something seems to go wrong...
If this is the sourceforge code directly, rather than the port, I can see a host of problems -- including the requirement for devel/libtool. Libtool dependent applications must use the OpenBSD supplied libtool, rather than the variant included with applications.

If you have not started with the x11/mlterm port, you should. There are several key patches required for Makefiles, to support building the application correctly. In addition, the maintainer's name and e-mail address may be found in the Makefile, if you have specific questions about why one feature you seem to need was disabled.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th September 2008
Spam Deminer

I see. In fact I did go from the package directly to the raw source.
Is there a way to configure a port with the features I need by my self?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th September 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Is there a way to configure a port with the features I need by my self?
Recognize that OpenBSD's ports tree is simply a standardized directory structure with Makefiles which upon execution will download source from an authenticated server following by doing whatever building & installing is necessary for the OpenBSD environment.

Within each application's directory structure is a patches directory will hold whatever diff's are required to both massage the code to run in OpenBSD's environment & adhere to OpenBSD's filesystem layout (see hier(7) for more information...). CVS indicates that this port has not been touched since February meaning that the code already vetted by the OpenBSD project may be older than the code found on SourceForge.

So to apply different changes will require an intimate knowledge of both the current port & whatever SourceForge provides. You will likely need to understand the patches that OpenBSD port maintainers created, & the entire process can be tedious depending upon how platform agnostic the original source base is & how extensive the changes are you need to make. Basically, you will be learning much of the knowledge the official port maintainers have.

As jggimi already mentioned, the Makefile for OpenBSD's mlterm port will contain the name & address of the maintainer. This can also be found at the following:

http://openports.se/x11/mlterm

If you do choose to contact the maintainer, be prepared to receive a lot or only a little guidance given that what you are wanting to do is outside the scope of their support.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th September 2008
Spam Deminer

thanks ocicat,
I might try to write to the maintainer, it would be nice to have a package with uim enabled
They might be very nice and do it.
thanks
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th September 2008
More noise than signal

Be aware that all development work is performed against -current, and you are running 4.3. If your desired feature is added, the development work might required backporting in order to run with 4.3, or you may be required to move to -current to employ it.

For information on the flavors of OpenBSD, see FAQ 5.1.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th September 2008
Spam Deminer

Ià'll keep this in mind, tks
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th October 2008
Spam Deminer

Default ...contiune

instead of writing to the maintainer, I now took some time to try something different. I downloaded the previous version from sourceforge (2.9.3 instead of 2.9.4). What I find strange is that it works perfectly (and configures correctly with uim) only if I install it in my user folder, if I installit system-wide if I try to run it it gives this message:
Code:
./mlterm:/usr/local/lib/mlterm/libim-uim.so: undefined symbol 'kik_get_locale'
lazy binding failed!
Segmentation fault
should I try to go back to older versions until it works? (Of course I can keep using the one intalled in my folder, no big deal).

tks
Old 20th October 2008
Administrator

Quote:
if I installit system-wide if I try to run it it gives this message:
Code:
./mlterm:/usr/local/lib/mlterm/libim-uim.so: undefined symbol 'kik_get_locale'
lazy binding failed!
Segmentation fault
Most everything found on SourceForge will be Linux-centric. Given that Linux has a different filesystem layout (as mentioned earlier in this thread...) & given that the libraries Linux applications use are not all available on OpenBSD, runtime errors as mentioned above are not surprising. You simply will need to comb through the code to determine what is missing & correct it yourself.

Because of the specific knowledge & details involved, we do not support porting efforts on this site. We stress that you contact the port maintainer as earlier discussed. Otherwise, you are on your own.
Old 21st October 2008
Spam Deminer

ok, got the message. I will contact the maintainer as said.
Always thank you for you patience.
Old 20th October 2008
More noise than signal

Since you are not using the port, and have not contacted the port maintainer for assistance, you are entirely on your own.
Quote:
...should I try to go back to older versions until it works?
That is up to you.
Old 14th February 2009
Spam Deminer

after a fresh install mlterm from source installed without problems, probably my system was corrupted. Also you seem to need to run "gmake" and not "make".
I actually did try to add a line in the Makefile of the ports to enable uim, but it still installed without it.
Anyway, now it works.
There's only one thing I cannot get to work, of which I posted some time ago in another thread, that is russian in put in mlterm. For some reason uxterm accepts russian input (xkb options in xorg.conf) but mlterm does not so I guess it is just a misconfiguration of mine or some keymap is missing, but I already don't know where to look for. I guess I've read all the possible man pages and tutorials and anything you can think about on the subject.
Anyone has had experience with mlterm?
Old 14th February 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Anyone has had experience with mlterm?
Only you and the maintainer you have refused to contact.

Note the Makefile you are not using: it has CONFIGURE_STYLE=gnu, which will use gmake, among other things.

You really shoiuld contact wbx@ if you want guidance.
Old 15th February 2009
Spam Deminer

I did write to the maintainer, but no reply

I also noted that mlterm is not in the 4.4 ppc packages anymore
Since the version in the packages is quite older than the source, I guess he's busy at something more important

anyway I can cope with this half solution
Old 15th February 2009
Administrator

Quote:
I also noted that mlterm is not in the 4.4 ppc packages anymore
Since the version in the packages is quite older than the source, I guess he's busy at something more important
The port can still be found in the ports tree, so it has not been officially dropped. The decision to no longer provide it as a package may be based on other (unknown) reasons.

However, the check-in messages for the port's Makefike:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...lterm/Makefile

...does support the notion that the port is quite dormant.
Quote:
anyway I can cope with this half solution
Obviously, this port is important to you. I would suggest posting to both ports@ & the maintainer again. I assume you haven't contacted either recently, so what have you got to lose?
Old 15th February 2009
Spam Deminer

recently I wrote to the mlterm mailing list, but also with no results (and if you see the mail archive is full of spam, and my request never got published). I might try to write again to the maintainer. I could also try to install freebsd on my noisy box and see if their port behaves differently.

To tell the truth, I feel quite stupid, because I could never figure out how to input chinese with uim-xim in uxterm, if I could I could probably forget about mlterm, although mlterm seems to be much smarter in handling geometry and formatting the output according to the window's size when there are different languages (is this called redrawing?).
Old 15th February 2009
Administrator

Quote:
...I could never figure out how to input chinese with uim-xim in uxterm...
I would also suggest sending a private message to scottro, one of this forum's members, as he has knowledge of various Japanese tools. Note that he appears to be quite busy, so you may not get a quick response.
Old 15th February 2009
More noise than signal

When a maintainer does not reply (or the e-mail address is no longer functional) an alternative is the ports@ mailing list.

Why?

1) Its a much larger audience -- you may actually find someone who has been through this before, and who may even have an uncommitted port for you.

2) You may shame the maintainer into communication, if they have a valid e-mail but never responded.
Old 24th February 2009
Spam Deminer

I quite solved my problem switching to another terminal: roxterm. It handles well utf-8 and lets me type any language in the same terminal. The only bad thing is that it allows you to choose only one font. Seen that good chinese fonts usually are bad at displaying latin script and vice-versa, I had to create two different profiles that I need to switch when I need to see either latin or cyrillic letters on one side and chinese characters on the other displayed in a more readable way. Mltem on the other hand lets you specivy different fonts for "biwidth".
But no big deal now I'm quite happy with roxterm, it is in the packages, no building from source, it just works well.
I might come back to this mlterm story in the future, but kind of doubt it.
thank you all for helping out!