DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2009
Port Guard

Default fatal error fvwm

Hello

New to this forum, I wanted to share a concern with my openbsd when I close the fvwm I see it the following error

PHP Code:
Before reporting problemscheck http://wiki.x.org
to make secure that you have the latest version
Module Loader present
Markers
: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) defaut setting,
            (++) 
from command line, (!!) notice, ( IIinformational,
            (
WWwarning, (EEerror, (NInot implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) 
Log file"/var/log/Xorg.0.log"TimeFri Jan 9 04:41:18 2009
(EEUnable to load module "fbdev" (module does not exit, )
(
IIModule "i2c" already built-in
(IIModule "ddc" already built-in
(IIModule "ramdac" already built-in
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler 
xkbcompreports:
>
Warning:       Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levelsbut RALThas 2 symbols
>                   Ignoring extra symbols
Error from xkbcomp  are not fatal to the X server
xterm
fatal 10 error 32 (Broken pipe) or killClient on X server ":0.0"

waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPathFPE /usr/X11R6/lib/X11fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be ; fixing. 
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2009
More noise than signal

There is not enough information in your problem report. We don't know your hardware architecture, or anything about your hardware configuration, or even what release of OpenBSD you are running. Your dmesg would give us all three.

From the output you have shown, it appears that you are not using an xorg.conf file. You may need or want one. FAQ 11 will give you guidance in properly configuring the X Windows environment for your particular architecture, hardware, and monitor(s).

It also appears that you are using the XKB keyboard mapping subsystem. I'm not familiar with it, but a quick search of the OpenBSD project website found this comment in an upgrade guide showing xorg.conf changes. It looks like a custom xorg.conf may be required:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade-old.html#20060131

And on the misc@ mailing list, I found references to xmodmap:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=121727431924713&w=2

...and along with xmodmap, the setxkbmap utility and xorg.conf once again:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=121734064926544&w=2

----------
Personally, I find fvwm a horrid window manager; it is built-in, but that's it only value as far as I'm concerned. (I understand Theo likes it, which is why it's there.)

Along with fvwm, cwm is also built-in.

There are at least 45 different window managers in the ports tree, available as packages. That includes the window managers which are packaged with applications which make them "integrated" GUI environments (KDE/Gnome/XFCE).

Last edited by jggimi; 9th January 2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: clarity
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
There is not enough information in your problem report. We don't know your hardware architecture, or anything about your hardware configuration, or even what release of OpenBSD you are running. Your dmesg would give us all three.
I completely agree with your assessment. It appears that the guy is trying to use xmodmap. That might be because he is left handed and wants to use the mouse with his left hand or because he needs non English key board layout. I have at list three books about X Window system on my shelf and I would be more than happy to seek for a solution as long as the information about problem are provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Personally, I find fvwm a horrid window manager; it is built-in, but that's it only value as far as I'm concerned. (I understand Theo likes it, which is why it's there.)

Along with fvwm, cwm is also built-in.
TWM is also shipped with X Window system so OpenBSD has three window managers in its base. I personally use CWM which is essentially a fork of CWM you will find in ports of FreeBSD or NetBSD. It is almost completely rewritten by OpenBSD developers and clean of any bugs. However CWM is not point and click WM which might be hard for some people to swallow.
It rather uses key bindings heavily. My wife who is not Unix nor BSD enthusiast is using it without much fuss only after reading half a page of man pages.

I would respectfully disagree with jggimi about fvwm. Fvwm is one of the most customizable window managers in existence. OpenBSD is shipping old version Fvwm not the new one fvwm2 which is patched by OpenBSD team. Whole books are written about fvwm and since many people (Theo for instance) are using it for a very, very long time there is no reason to be removed from the base.

TWM is also an excellent choice. If you are using different Unix like system is probably the best choice since it can be found on any machine running X Window system. It can be configured very nicely.

http://81.174.174.115/twm/twmrc.htm

I would restrain however from using Vdesk (which author suggests in the above link) for virtual desks as it is very buggy and completely undocumented peace of software (which is also a big BUG). You can use CTWM from ports to achieve the same functionality (it is just an extension to TWM). You can also find in ports tvtwm which is essentially version TWM with virtual desktops.

I noticed on XOrg mailing list that somebody cleaned TWM after 15 years of non-activity and few rare bugs are removed. The support for virtual desktops is also added. I believe that version of TWM will be shipped starting XOrg 7.5.

As of many different WM in the ports I would stick with the base for everything (and you will be shocked what you can find inside default OpenBSD installation) unless you really have compelling reason to use something else. Just my 2c.

Last edited by Oko; 9th January 2009 at 06:14 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
I would respectfully disagree with jggimi about fvwm
That's OK. It was just a personal opinion. Everyone has their favorites or least favorites.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2009
Spam Deminer

Perhaps most importantly, you haven't told us if you are actually having a problem... :-)

Adam
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2009
Port Guard

Hello,

Uses for that I will do my openbsd, I just want to use the window manager fvwm.When you look at this error closer

PHP Code:
 xtermfatal 10 error 32 (Broken pipe) or killClient on X server ":0.0" 
I think I have a problem with the graphics card specifically the driver,something strange in the extracts of log: I have never seen an outflow of short X

X11 in the directory I have no xorg.conf When I type the command suinvante Xorg-configure it gives me an error

PHP Code:
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
If this server is no longer runningremove /tmp/,X,0-lock
and start againg 
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2009
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nk2Network View Post
Hello,

Uses for that I will do my openbsd, I just want to use the window manager fvwm.When you look at this error closer

PHP Code:
 xtermfatal 10 error 32 (Broken pipe) or killClient on X server ":0.0" 
I think I have a problem with the graphics card specifically the driver,something strange in the extracts of log: I have never seen an outflow of short X
That error is simply xterm complaining that the X server stopped, which is not surprising since you closed fvwm.

Adam
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2009
Port Guard

It's just a warning about the closure fvwm, if I can not remove this error is not very serious