DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd July 2011
Package Pilot

Default value of machdep.allowaperture for openbox

Hello there people i made a clean install so i could partition more carefuly my disk and on the installation i made x to start by deafult by mistake!I changed the value of machdep.allowaperture to 0 on /etc/sysctl.conf so x won't start on boot. I have installed openbox according to this http://78.86.112.206/openbsd.html and when i "start x" i cannot start openbox!What other changes shall i make! :/
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd July 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Code:
machdep.allowaperture=2 # See xf86(4)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd July 2011
Banned

All you have to do is boot single user, remount / rw, and correct the error, as for starting openbox via xdm(1).. just put the relevant evocation line in ~/.xsession instead of ~/.xinitrc.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd July 2011
Package Pilot

Thank you both for your answers.Problem solved!
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd July 2011
Administrator

As someone new to OpenBSD, you will be helping yourself significantly by taking the time to read through the official FAQ:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html

In comparison to Ubuntu, or any other Unix-like operating system, the OpenBSD project is perhaps the smallest. As such, both project developers & technical writers put great importance on the correctness of the information found in the FAQ. For all general information about the current version of OpenBSD, this is the single best resource available on the Internet.

The problem with third-party resources is that the research done was only far enough to answer the original author's problem. These resources are frequently wrong, incomplete, & out of date. Taking the time while new to OpenBSD to seriously study the information found in the FAQ will save you significant aggravation, and pay off over time.

We highly recommend you study this document.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd July 2011
Package Pilot

Hello ocicat!
I 've taken seriously your reccomendation for studying the faq seriously from the first time!
Sometimes i just don't search the right way! :/ But believe me the FAQ is always active on my browser!Anyway these last days i've learnt a lot of things that under Ubuntu i doubt i would ever be aware of their existance!!!.OBSD makes you learn finally wanting it or not!

Last edited by sepuku; 4th July 2011 at 11:12 AM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2011
Arp Constable

In My Experience and My Honest Opinion, the OpenBSD FAQ is significantly more useful and complete (also sometimes less brain damaged if you go by the wiki) than what Ubuntu's documentation offers.

Most interesting stuff for Ubuntu is in the admins little black book, where as with OpenBSD, it is all right in the FAQ :-)

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.