DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD General

NetBSD General Other questions regarding NetBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th May 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Default Network failure and output dumping onto console

Hello,

I have two problems that I think are co-related. The first is that output is dumped onto my console (no X, yet). It doesn't matter if I am in the middle of typing a command or in a program such as vi or the manpages, the output is dumped where the cursor is - though it doesn't affect anything (i.e., commands still work after be split up and it doesn't write into the files from vi). But, it is still very annoying! The messages, about 3 different ones, are:

(the italicized parts are replaced by the actual values)
Code:
DATE & TIME last message repeated N times

DATE & TIME dhclient: send_packet: Input/output error

DATE & TIME /netbsd: arplookup: unable to enter address for 192.168.0.1@00 MAC-ADRESS on nfe0 (host is not on local network)
The messages for this first problem don't matter (though, they relate to the second problem) - the problem is that they keeping dumping onto the console every couple of seconds.

The second problem (from which the specific error messages stem, I think) is that I can't always get my local gateway. If I soft boot into NetBSD, then all is fine. But, if I hard boot into NetBSD, then I have issues. It will not locate my local gateway - though I have my IP address. This is at least an improvement over 3.1 which wouldn't even let me get my IP address via DHCP on a hard boot. So on a hard boot, I can't ping say - www.google.com - though I can on a soft boot.

I get my IP address via DHCP from my ISP and my modem/router is statically set to 192.168.0.1. So say my address from my ISP is 62.24.38.124 - then the two are on different networks and I get the error messages - though I can ping using names on a soft boot with this setup and I can ping addresses on the network (i.e., 62.24.38.108 - even though it is only connected via the internet).
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)