DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2008
piotrk

Default disklabel don't see OpenBSD partition

hello

I have problem with install CD of OpenBSD , I boot CD and use fdisk ,then I made in fdisk OpenBSD partition(e6),i saved and I do to the disklabel ,but in disklabel thereis a problem becouse disklabel don't see OpenBSD partition with I made in fdisk,I try to use option"use entire disk for OpenbSD" but problem is the same,disklabel don't see OpenBSD partition ,disklabel see only disk c,but I can't edit them,there is a screen with this problem:

http://www.upimg.eu/show.php?p=21145

screen is from qemu ,but in my computer I have the same problem

when I use CD with version 3.9 of OpenBSD there is okay,but in version 4.3 there is a problem
What should I do?please,help me

p.s.sorry for my english

Last edited by piotrk; 25th September 2008 at 12:56 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2008
More noise than signal

At this moment, I do not see your attachment / image.

1) The correct MBR partition # for OpenBSD is A6, not E6.

2) The OpenBSD disklabel program will set the range of valid LBAs for OpenBSD from the MBR partition table. You can override these, if you wish, by using the "b" disklabel command.

Without more information, such as the output of fdisk, I cannot determine what the problem is. But I suspect it is human error, as you have this problem in a virtual machine as well as a real one.

I suspect the most likely problem is a misunderstanding of how to use the disklabel program, since you have trouble even when you select "use entire disk".

When you make that selection, the install script will use "fdisk -i" which will create a single MBR partition, type A6, spanning the entire drive. It then puts you into the disklabel program in interactive mode.

It is because you are unable to manipulate the disklabel partitions from this point within qemu that I suspect a problem using the disklabel program, rather than a physical or configuration problem. But it is just a guess, I do not know.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2008
piotrk

sorry ,I did a mistake when I write ,of course I do a6

I correct the screen
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2008
Banned

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question, but you realize you have to create your own label right?

Do, went prompted.. type a a, provide the information requested, type w then q.

Example:
http://www.upimg.eu/show.php?p=21150
http://www.upimg.eu/show.php?p=21151
http://www.upimg.eu/show.php?p=21152

Understand? you create labels inside of the MBR-style A6 partition..
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th September 2008
piotrk

ok ,this was my problem ,In older version of OpenBSD(like 3.9) I must do small letter "d" and then letter "a",but in new version I don't must do this ,only I must create slice with "a a",I didnt' know about this In FAQ there is version that I should do "d a" to delete partition and make slice ,but in newer version of OpenBSD I can't do this becouse I had communicate"Partition a is not in use",ok thanks for your help It's working I installed new 4.3 OpenBSD