DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
New User

Question Question regarding wireless setup

Hello all. First I would like to thank whomever made the post about relocating here due to spam issues on bsdforums. Anyway, here is what I would like to do.

I live in very close proximity to a rogue access point with a very fast internet connection. I have an old 233mhz 32mb 10G box that I will be installing Freebsd 7 on. I have an ethernet card, and a PCMCIA slot in which I will install my Orinoco 802.11b wireless card into. This wireless card has a place to plug in a "pigtail" connector into a coax cable connected to a 3 ft. grid antenna pointed in the general direction of the access point. After mounting the antenna in the attic, I plugged the PCMCIA Orinoco card in my Ubuntu laptop and the signal varies between 80-97%.

I would like to connect to the rogue access point with the orinoco card, then forward the internet connection to my router (Linksys BEFW1154 v4) via the ethernet card to use for 2 desktops that do not have wireless capabilities.

My questions are as follows:

1.) Will the setup described suffice for what I intend to do?

2.) How would I set this up from a fresh install of Freebsd 7? From what I read so far, it looks like I should use "pf"; is this true?

3.) I noticed that when I use the cordless phone in the house, my laptop loses the connection to the access point. Assuming this would happen on the box I am trying to build, I would need to ssh into it and run 'dhclient' or is there a way to automatically initiate this if the connection is lost? Once the box is up, the k/v/m will be removed due to limited space.

I am fairly new to this. I have a moderate understanding of the *nix environment/commands/vi editor and I am not afraid to RTFM/google. I am just looking to be pointed in the right direction in regards to which tools or commands would be necessary to set this up.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Andy
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealintv View Post
From what I read so far, it looks like I should use "pf"; is this true?
Wouldn't hurt. Given the chance I'd personally ditch my router and stick an OpenBSD system or two into the mix complete with PF to handle packet filtering.

Quote:
3.) I noticed that when I use the cordless phone in the house, my laptop loses the connection to the access point.

If the cordless phone is on the same band/bandwidth or whatever the proper term is, it can have a jamming effect.

Many phones that I've seen work in part of the spectrum as the wireless A/G systems. Ours for example runs on Channel 11, before that I had to test each one until I found a setting that didn't interfer with the cordless phone (Marked 2.4Ghz and without more specifics then that!).

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2008
Port Guard

A new question:

It's time I graduated from dial-up to ADSL, and there a lot of modestly-priced modem/routers that come with wireless transmitter. The problem is / may be that I'll be connecting the modem/router to my FreeBSD box, which doesn't have a wireless card. But I'll use the wireless on an eeepc running ubuntu.

How would I configure and, importantly, secure the wireless connection in such a set-up ?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2008
VPN Cryptographer

Normal stuff: Enable WPA2, and enter a nice, long random string as the key. The ADSL modem/router will do the rest.
For the freeBSD box, simply enable DHCP. (ifconfig_if0=DHCP (where if0 is the name of the interface) in /etc/rc.conf)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2008
Port Guard

thanks robbak,

my brain has trouble with logical thinking at times: either I can get to the modem/router set-up at 192.168.1.1 on the FreeBSD box, or if that fails do it on ubuntu eeepc.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
3.) I noticed that when I use the cordless phone in the house, my laptop loses the connection to the access point. Assuming this would happen on the box I am trying to build, I would need to ssh into it and run 'dhclient' or is there a way to automatically initiate this if the connection is lost? Once the box is up, the k/v/m will be removed due to limited space.
What frequency does the phone run on? What channel? Many cordless phones use the 2.4GHz frequency, which is also the frequency used by most wireless internet setups. Try changing the channel on your phone, or on your wireless setup (channel 6 is frequently the default for wireless in the States...try something like 2 or 11).

If that doesn't do it, find out if your access point and wireless NICs support the 5 GHz band.