Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th March 2015
Administrator

Default iSpy:The CIA Campaign to Steal Apple’s Secrets

From a long article at the The Intercept

Quote:
RESEARCHERS WORKING with the Central Intelligence Agency have conducted a multi-year, sustained effort to break the security of Apple’s iPhones and iPads, according to top-secret documents obtained by The Intercept.

The security researchers presented their latest tactics and achievements at a secret annual gathering, called the “Jamboree,” where attendees discussed strategies for exploiting security flaws in household and commercial electronics. The conferences have spanned nearly a decade, with the first CIA-sponsored meeting taking place a year before the first iPhone was released.

By targeting essential security keys used to encrypt data stored on Apple’s devices, the researchers have sought to thwart the company’s attempts to provide mobile security to hundreds of millions of Apple customers across the globe.
BTW A jamboree is a meeting of boy/girl scouts isn't it

Last edited by J65nko; 14th March 2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: yamboree --> jamboree
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th March 2015
ISO Quartermaster

It's spelled Jamboree, (and in the US, we pronounce the J differently, as in jump.

But a jamboree can be any gathering--it kind of has a nuance (to me at least, not necessarily officially) of being kind of rowdy.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2015
Spam Deminer

Because of a traitor, it has now become commonplace to detract from the legitimate work of the NSA in protecting the free world. Now there is another rebuke of the CIA.

I value my liberty and freedom, but do those who continue to denounce the NSA and other intelligence agencies realize they are able to do so because of the work that is receiving scathing press?

In much of the world, ran by dictators and totalitarian states, people are killed or imprisoned for speaking or writing disparaging words. You only say these things because they were spewed by a traitor who is gutless to withstand judgment of his actions. You only say these things because the dictators and totalitarian regimes withhold the actions and activities that are occurring in their states that make innocent the work of the NSA.

I am not naive, but these people work so you can enjoy your liberty and freedom.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th March 2015
ISO Quartermaster

I think we try to avoid politics here. The only thing that is really relevant to these forums is the tech connection. (NOTE: I AM NOT A MODERATOR, just giving my opinion as a user--there's probably hundreds, if not thousands of forums, where you can argue whether the man was a hero or traitor, and if I were into that, I'd probably find one of them.)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th March 2015
New User

You think pffff... but then you immediately think smart move. The userbase of iPhones/iPads may well be legitimate targets worth hacking.
Cheap-a Windows which probably goes hand-in-hand with a certain type of user(s) (pardon the stereotype) is done and dusted on a daily basis.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th March 2015
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatrick View Post
You only say these things because they were spewed by a traitor who is gutless to withstand judgment of his actions. You only say these things because the dictators and totalitarian regimes withhold the actions and activities that are occurring in their states that make innocent the work of the NSA.

I am not naive, but these people work so you can enjoy your liberty and freedom.
You are entitled to your point of view. I think the individual you speak of is a very polarizing figure who is either a traitor or a champion of people's rights depending on your frame of reference. I won't get into politics here. I do think the information he has provided is valuable.