DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2020
New User

Default Adaptec RAID Controllers

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to get disks showing up in OpenBSD that are connected to an Adaptec 2120S RAID controller. I know that card in particular is not officially supported by the aac(4) driver. I was mostly wondering if anyone had found a particular workaround for it. I've tried multiple RAID configurations, simple volumes, and just not setting any configuration at all, but have had no luck. I've considered contributing to the aac(4) driver, but I'm not entirely sure where to get started.

By the way, I've tried getting the disks to show up on 6.6, 6.7, and 6.8. I can post output from dmesg if requested, but it just lists the RAID controller as "not configured".

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2020
More noise than signal

"Not configured" is kernel-speak for, "I found this device, but there is no matching device driver."

You could try adding the device to the kernel driver's source code and compile a test kernel. If the device has the same ABI as other Adaptec models, this might be all that is needed.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2020
New User

Good to know. I think just adding the device to the driver source code might not be a bad idea, though. I know that aac(4) supports the Adaptec 2130S for instance, so maybe they are similar enough. I'll give that a shot and report back any progress. Thank you for confirming my suspicions and for the suggestion!
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd November 2020
New User

So, I finally got around to looking at the source code. And from what I can tell, the Adaptec 2120S has already been added to the kernel. I found a definition for it on line 69 of this file: https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/.../pci/aac_pci.c.

It looks like they are defining the PCI Device ID here, which is 0x0286. I cross-checked this with the Linux driver source available from Adaptec themselves, and it appears to be the correct value.

Furthermore, it is being added to the aac_sub_identifiers array on line 100, and being added to the aac_identifiers array on line 190/191 (this is the one in particular which is relevant, since it is an IBM system).

I cannot find any mention of this card elsewhere in source, except for a comment which talks about a workaround for a bug for this card and the 2200, found on line 1228 of this file: https://github.com/openbsd/src/blob/...s/dev/ic/aac.c.

Perhaps there is a bug? Or maybe I am just not looking in the right places?

Thanks.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th November 2020
More noise than signal

That's the right driver module. Perhaps the card does not match exactly to the vendor / device / subvendor / subdevice expectations of the driver.

Tags
aac, adaptec, driver, raid