DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2011
Administrator

Default advancing my skillset by using -current

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
I have a small part with Linux as a backup plane, just in case -current failed me at some point...
Disciplined & regular use of dump(8) & restore(8) would accomplish the same goal.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
Perhaps with time I will be prave and more talented enough to trust my skills on doing it the right way..."
This is Off-Topic; perhaps Ocicat will split the discussion. This begs a response.
  • Neither bravery nor talent are required to develop -- and test -- a simple disaster recovery plan.
  • Both dump(8) and restore(8) are well documented programs. Along with their man pages, FAQ 10.2 has a simple example using both with a pipe to replicate a filesystem, FAQ 14.10 has more detail and examples of using them with magnetic tape for disaster recovery.
  • The ramdisk kernel includes restore(8), though you will want to create and mount a /tmp filesystem before using it, there is not enough free space built-in to the ramdisk OS to run a restore.
  • You need to regularly test your backup and recovery procedures, starting on "bare iron", to ensure that you can recover from backup media (disk, tape, network, etc.) in the event of a complete outage. But you do not need to practice on real hardware. You can practice in a virtual machine if you do not have a spare computer. On OpenBSD, the qemu package makes a fine tool for this sort of self-education.
Reading your threads, qmemo, it appears that if you spent as much effort testing and experimenting as you do writing up your questions, you'd be much further along technically, and a much more self-confident administrator.

Last edited by jggimi; 13th May 2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: clarity
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th May 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
This is Off-Topic; perhaps Ocicat will split the discussion. This begs a response.
  • Neither bravery nor talent are required to develop -- and test -- a simple disaster recovery plan.
yes, I can say I have studied all about dump & restore when I was preparing for Solaris cert., how ever I have not practice it that much; not yet.

Quote:
  • The ramdisk kernel includes restore(8), though you will want to create and mount a /tmp filesystem before using it, there is not enough free space built-in to the ramdisk OS to run a restore.
  • You need to practice backup and recovery, on "bare iron", to ensure that you can recover in the event of a complete outage. But you do not need to practice on real hardware. You can practice in a virtual machine if you do not have a spare computer. On OpenBSD, the qemu package makes a fine tool for this sort of self-education.
will, those are couple of good tip's; I could use one's like those all the time.

Quote:
Reading your threads, qmemo, it appears that if you spent as much effort testing and experimenting as you do writing up your questions, you'd be much further along technically, and a much more self-confident administrator.
@jggimi

First of all, thank you for joining my thread.

yes, I came to notice this self behavior a long time ago; I made peace treaty with my self by just saying 'it's another form of thinking out loud'

I know it bug's lot's of people, but I count on their patience and ignoring my threads when they can not bear with it any more.