Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th August 2013
Administrator

Default Google sniffs at MySQL fork MariaDB: Yum. Have an engineer

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08...backs_mariadb/

Quote:
Exclusive Search giant Google has put its support behind an independent fork of MySQL, the famed open-source database that was gulped down by software giant Oracle when it acquired Sun Microsystems.

The Chocolate Factory has sent an engineer to the MariaDB Foundation, which looks after the fork's codebase, community and ecosystem, and has MySQL daddy Monty Widenius himself as its lead developer.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th August 2013
Package Pilot

Michael Widenius is the main author of both MySQL and MariaDB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Widenius

The article has a fascinating quote about BSD and GPL licenses:

Quote:
Widenius has said he regrets not taking steps to stop MySQL, his first love, from eventually being owned by a corporation – namely Oracle.

“That’s the one mistake I made,” Widenius told The Reg in an interview. “Based on the facts I had then, I’d say everything was done right. If I were able to look into the future, I'd have added one thing to the licence: that this licence is GPL but after three years it reverts to BSD, then Oracle wouldn’t have bought Sun because we’d be free within three years and MySQL would be BSD and nobody could take that away.”