DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default recommended 802.11a/b/g/n wireless cards

Hi

I want to upgrade our routers wireless card. At the moment it's using a Atheros minPCI 802.11a/b/g Wireless Adapter.
I'm looking for a similar card that works well with FreeBSD 7-STABLE

Any recommendations on a possible candidate that I might be able to get.

Thanks
hamba
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2008
Risen from the ashes

You can't beat the Atheros support in FreeBSD. Why would you want to change the card? Or are you looking to move to 802.11n, which isn't supported in FreeBSD as yet?

The best wireless cards, IMO/IME, are the Atheros SuperG chipsets. You can tell which chipsets are SuperG chipsets quite easily: they advertise 108 Mbps throughput. Pair these with a wireless access point/router that also does 108 Mbps, and you have a great setup. Fully supported by the ath(4) driver in FreeBSD 5+.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2008
Arp Constable

A while ago, I took a survey of cards in my area, suitable for a desktop PC. For laptops, I've found the Netgear WG511T works quite well -> and the box even said the (Atheros) chipset on it hehe.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th October 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Hi, thanks for the replies.

The reason I'm looking to upgrade to 802.11n is because we have two new Lenovo Thinkpad laptops and both of them are running extremely slow over the wireless at full signal strength, I managed to get one of them up to a reasonable speed by changing the power management settings but the second one is a lost case.
Both laptops are running Vista and I made peace with the fact that vista is slow. The second laptop has a 802.11n intell card in it, this one I can't even get to steam a video from youtube properly and from what I've read on the internet is that the card might be incompatible with our router, seeing that I'm running a FreeBSD router I'm thinking of upgrading the wireless card and see if that was the problem.

I'll look into the SuperG supported cards seeing that we can't use 802.11n cards yet.

And just to make this port a little weirder, both laptops perform really well on the local network compared to any of the other laptops, the problem lies with going out on to the internet. The thing is, all the other laptops works perfectly well, its just these two Thinkpads that's giving me a hard time.

Thanks

Last edited by hamba; 27th October 2008 at 07:46 PM.