Old 11th February 2013
Package Pilot

Default PC-BSD

Interesting. I think it will change FreeBSD world:

http://blog.pcbsd.org/2013/02/status...-future-plans/
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th February 2013
Banned

I'm one of the many people who use more than the standard i386 and AMD64 based equipment that PCBSD only supports. Rolling release is not a good idea for end users.
1. Code should not be rushed. Doing such or pressuring programmers is asking for something to go wrong.
2. What works on one subset of any architecture may not work on another subset of the same architecture. Again, you are asking for trouble.

When possible, I will work on building applications for other architectures. At times, this may show problems in code that can latter affect standard architectures. Rolling release is not a good idea.

This is my opinion.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th February 2013
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninguem View Post
I'm one of the many people who use more than the standard i386 and AMD64 based equipment that PCBSD only supports. Rolling release is not a good idea for end users.
1. Code should not be rushed. Doing such or pressuring programmers is asking for something to go wrong.
2. What works on one subset of any architecture may not work on another subset of the same architecture. Again, you are asking for trouble.

When possible, I will work on building applications for other architectures. At times, this may show problems in code that can latter affect standard architectures. Rolling release is not a good idea.

This is my opinion.
I agree about rolling release but I like idea to became independent from FreeBSD and be faster with applications update which is very slow on FreeBSD.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th February 2013
Banned

If they- the PCBSD team/developers- would let the users know what is and is not available during each "Rolling Release," then I could agree with such a strategy.

It takes more than a name to be considered independent or an offshoot of a project. There are developers who work with both FreeBSD and PCBSD.

Try also to remember that the BSD distributions will work with each other at various times.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th February 2013
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninguem View Post
u There are developers who work with both FreeBSD and PCBSD.
There are FreeBSD developers who work with both FreeBSD and Mac OS.