DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Default How I can have two version of zsh

how I can have two version of zsh or other package , for example zsh 3 and zsh 4 or mplayer 09 and mplayer 1
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

Nothing is bizarre here, because you installed them and they are different *shrug*
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I think it's a question for how to do it, not "why did it happen."

But I'm afraid I'm too rusty on ports to give a decent answer... I'm positive it can be done though. Just requires some black magic.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Arp Constable

they would conflict so you can't have them both installed int he usual manor. I think it's possible to use the ports system to build things with different targets w/o much trouble but have never had to do it, check the manual pages.

PS:

I don't believe in multiple versions installed of the same thing unless having to test a development release along side a stable install (which I do not like doing on an otherwise stable machine!). And things like combing PHP4 and PHP5 for a 'grace period' for people to change their scripts before dropping the old version.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Spam Deminer

thanks guys
I want have two version of one program like windows , we can install photoshop 7 and photoshop 8
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Tcpdump Spy

One easy, but far from perfect, method is using different a PREFIX, this will work for most (but not all) ports.

For example:
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/shells/zsh && make install clean 'PREFIX=/usr/pkg/${PORTNAME}-${PORTVERSION}'
I used /usr/pkg to keep things seperate from "normal" ports in /usr/local...

Instead of FORCE_PKG_REGISTER you can also use a different PKGDB, but changing PKGDB never worked very well for me, but in this case the plist isn't that interesting anyway because you can jst remove /usr/pkg/zsh-1.0 to remove everything....

You will also need to add the binaries to PATH or use symlinks.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th May 2008
Risen from the ashes

The best, most complete method for installing multiple versions of the same application involves the use of jails. Keeps things perfectly separated. But it can be overkill for most desktop situations.

You can play around with the "PREFIX" setting to install ports into alternate locations (not /usr/local). Depending on the dependencies, and how many libs the two ports need, this may not always work.

Another alternative is to install one version via the ports tree, and the other version manually, setting the --prefix to someplace totally separate from /usr/local.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th May 2008
Port Guard

As phoenix and carpetsmoker said, it can be managed. I just would like to add that there few more environment variables regarding the use of packages\ports - like place to install.
You can use the advice of carpetsmoker to define the book-keeping information about package to be stored correctly (i.e. /var/db/pkg) and define one place for your "double software" (like /usr/local/mybin and .../mylib etc).