DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 26th May 2008
Port Guard

I would use CPUTYPE=athlon in make.conf for that CPU. For gcc 4.2.x, these are your choices for x86/x86_64

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4....002d64-Options

If building kernel, you haven't got a lot of choice for the i386 arch. For that one, in the kernel config you'd have to use:

cpu I686_CPU

I don't mean to go against the rules here (I agree with that in general), but I don't mind people asking related questions in my threads. (In fact I don't consider it "my thread", I only started it). I spend a lot of time in forums, and sometimes in a thread something will inspire a question and it is practical to ask it there. It isn't necessarily thread hijacking. I believe this to be one of them. The topic did change since my original question... we got into CPUTYPE in make.conf and other make options.
Old 26th May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Oh, im very sorry. I have been notified on other forums about making new topics (after searching etc. think the line is a bit fuzzy anyway) so im a bit afraid. But glad to know that here it isn´t so. ill leave this one alone for now.

EDIT: Thanks Grogan

Last edited by Calderon; 26th May 2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added thanks
Old 9th June 2008
New User

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the helpful information that has been posted in this thread. It really helped me tie together a bunch of the research I was doing before compiling my custom kernel and kept me from having to make posts to ask questions.
Old 9th June 2008
Administrator

This is best source if you are looking for basic CPUTYPE / CFLAGS:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
Old 10th June 2008
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
This is best source if you are looking for basic CPUTYPE / CFLAGS:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags
I was looking at my proc on there... AMD Turion 64... Why do you think they don't recommend -fomit-frame-pointer for 64bit but do for 32bit? Curious...
Old 10th June 2008
Administrator

from gcc.gnu.org manual:
Quote:
-O also turns on -fomit-frame-pointer on machines where doing so does not interfere with debugging.
Quote:
-fomit-frame-pointer
Don't keep the frame pointer in a register for functions that don't need one. This avoids the instructions to save, set up and restore frame pointers; it also makes an extra register available in many functions. It also makes debugging impossible on some machines.

On some machines, such as the VAX, this flag has no effect, because the standard calling sequence automatically handles the frame pointer and nothing is saved by pretending it doesn't exist. The machine-description macro FRAME_POINTER_REQUIRED controls whether a target machine supports this flag. See Register Usage.

Enabled at levels -O, -O2, -O3, -Os.
rest: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4....timize-Options

Also -fomit-frame-pointer does good things on C code, but it may break C++ code, so use only for C.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
Old 10th June 2008
Port Guard

It's not that they don't recommend -fomit-frame-pointer for x86_64, it's just that you don't need to specify it because -Oanything enables it. (and apparently doesn't for x86, so they show that you can explicitly do so). Also, just because they are showing something as "safe" for gentoo, doesn't mean there is much point in doing it.
Old 10th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogan View Post
Also, just because they are showing something as "safe" for gentoo, doesn't mean there is much point in doing it.
GCC and Linux kernel is the same in all Linux distribution so Gentoo is no point here, GCC is also on FreeBSD and other UNIX systems, so this flag also works there.

Old 10th June 2008
VPN Cryptographer

I wouldn't go too far with that point. Yes, it is the same GCC, but some of gcc's optimizations have on occasion assume some linuxisims.

Optimizations that work on the linux kernel or gnu code may still produce broken code on the BSD tree.
That is still a useful list, but don't take it as gospel.
Old 10th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak View Post
Optimizations that work on the linux kernel or gnu code may still produce broken code on the BSD tree.
I would not said that if I would not test them first.

I always used -fomit-frame-pointer for all Ports and they NEVER been broken, it just disables debuging and you get one register more for other things.

Old 10th June 2008
Banned

The frame pointer actually has additional purposes, honesty, you should reconsider using all those optimizations, some levels of optimizations may be dangerous.

In the kernel, inline assembly is often used.. it may even rely on the stack pointer being present.

Unless you have a deep intimate knowledge of compiler mechanics and kernel internals.. stop recommending such things vermaden.
Old 10th June 2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
In the kernel, inline assembly is often used.. it may even rely on the stack pointer being present.
Tell me where I was saying to use it for kernel ...

I would be GLAD to see that quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
stop recommending such things vermaden.
I know what I am doing.