DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th September 2010
New User

Default arp command failing

Hi everyone,

I'm having periodic problems with the arp command returning -1. I've been unable to determine the conditions that cause this, or even any info on what could cause arp to fail.

I'm calling % arp -an through the PHP functions shell_exec() and exec() - both of which are simply intended to run a shell command.

Like I said - this is periodic. I can have this error generated multiple times 1 minute, then have the same code run 5 minutes later with no problems.

I'm not sure if I should be looking at the server load for the culprit, or maybe network load?

Thanks for any & all help.

P.S: Running on a 4.7 box upgraded from 4.6.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle View Post
I'm having periodic problems with the arp command returning -1. I've been unable to determine the conditions that cause this, or even any info on what could cause arp to fail.
I can only guess that you are constantly calling arp(8). Although the documentation for shell_exec & exec "appear" to be functions which simply pass through the results of the defined command, it isn't that simple. I am not convinced by the information provided that the -1 is coming from arp(8).

My recommendation is three-fold:
  • Study the source for arp(8), & judge for yourself. The primary source file can be found at the following:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvswe...?annotate=1.49

A cursory glance through the code did not reveal -1 ever being the output.
  • If you are still concerned about arp(8) being the culprit, create a simple shell script which repeated calls arp(8) saving the output. Determine if the same -1 errors occur here.
  • If I am correct assuming that you are calling arp(8) in a loop, add a delay. Periodic burps may indicate a race condition. Adding a delay during each loop iteration may help mask the problem.