DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2016
standard-bearer

Default Installation experience

Is there a shortcut within sysinst which I can use to do "installboot -f"?
Or must I really remember the complete command line including options, exit the installer, type the command and start the installer again to fix the problem with the bootloader installation? Also nice, the default shell is sh.

The defaults are ok for the ninties. Nowadays we all have much space how can I change MB to GB in the partition manager. The slice for /var is too small when you use pkgin.

No Umlaut in text messages when I switch to German.

How can I retrieve Pkgsrc.tar.gz when dhclient isn't started by sysinst? Or how I connect over WiFI? A temporary wpa_supplicant configuration file isn't a good solution.

How can I disable kernel messages which pollute the installation dialogs?

The daily image from 20.11 I getting no /etc directory on the hard disk. So the installation is broken.

As a long time user I already have at least one working installation and experience to deal with these problems but new user will switch to another OS.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2016
Arp Constable

I can input on 2 questions:
Quote:
Or how I connect over WiFI? A temporary wpa_supplicant configuration file isn't a good solution.
I use the connection setup at the bottom of this web page:
NetBSD wiki wifi. You can generate the entries in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf with wpa_passphrase(8).
# wpa_passphrase SSID YOURKEY > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.

I setup a NetBSD/OpenBSD dual boot using NetBSD's bootloader. I found it easiest to assign MBR partitions (slices) using OpenBSD's fdisk which accepts GB/MB or C/H/S. OpenBSD fdisk also assigned type A9 accurately. I would then boot the NetBSD install media and "partition the slice" The basic slice starts with / and swap. If you increase swap size or add paritions, the NetBSD disklabel automatically subtracts the space from /.

I would think you could also setup a /var on a second partition with type A9. Once the OS is installed, format and make the appropriate entry in /etc/fstab. Rename the old /var, mount the new /var and recursively copy the old /var/contents over.

Last edited by shep; 20th November 2016 at 11:06 PM.