DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default apache documentroot

what is the ideal place for the apache document root. Both from a security and efficency point of view
The default usually is something like /usr/local/apache/htdocs.

Also what permissions to give the documentroot directory. So far have run the documentroot with root permissions but would it be better to run it with out root permissions.

thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2008
Spam Refugee

Apache's default is safe enough, and so are the root:wheel defaults. The only reason to deviate from that standard is when you're hosting a bunch of virtual hosts that need to be maintained by different people. In that case you'll want DocumentRoots in (for example) users' homedirs (like /home/user/www or /home/user/public_html) with the permissions set to these users so they can maintain their sites.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default short url

Thank you for your reply
I was thinking of something like
Code:
/usr/docroot
for the documentroot .
just makes it easier to fill in absolute paths in scripts.
Does having the docroot so close to root cause any security problem. I cannot think of any. But just want to double check.
Also how do you manage sftp transfers of files using a client like cuteftp as it is not safe to allow direct root login. So if you login into cuteftp as a member of the wheel group but try to replace files owned by root I think it is not going to allow you to do that right.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2008
Spam Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijk View Post
Thank you for your reply
I was thinking of something like
Code:
/usr/docroot
for the documentroot .
just makes it easier to fill in absolute paths in scripts.
Well, scripts have variables, and you can make those pretty short
dir = /usr/local/apache/htdocs leaves you with $dir ..

Quote:
Does having the docroot so close to root cause any security problem. I cannot think of any. But just want to double check.
No, I don't think the difference between 'cd /' and 'cd ../../../' will deter anyone. And I don't think the document root will really influence where a hacker who manages to trick Apache into giving him a shell ends up on your filesystem.

Quote:
Also how do you manage sftp transfers of files using a client like cuteftp as it is not safe to allow direct root login. So if you login into cuteftp as a member of the wheel group but try to replace files owned by root I think it is not going to allow you to do that right.
Never allow straight root logins anywhere. Just chown the directory to the user maintaining the site using (s)ftp, or if there are several users maintaining the same site, put them in their own group and chmod the web files to 664. Apache does not care who owns the files, as long as they're world-readable. (--4).
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Smile Thanks

Thank you for the comprehensive reply :-)
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default Apache Security

From a security point of veiw you should be using jails. Take a look at ezjails in the ports tree.

Mod_security and IPF (firewall) , in ports, should also be considered.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2008
Risen from the ashes

The problem with jails is the overhead of running multiple, separate instances of httpd, plus the need for a separate IP for each jail (and the limit of a single IP per jail).

In a lot of situations, these are not limitations and help a lot. In others, these are limitations that make jails unusable.

Each situation is different, and the tools need to be examined in that light in order to select the one that works best.

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2008
Fdisk Soldier

phoenix,

I know if I was using a "Core2Quad Q9300 8gb DDR2 750gb" for a server, additional IPs wouldn't be a problem or issue. That being said, phoenix is correct, jails do have some issues and the need an IP for each jail is the major one for alot people.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd July 2008
Package Pilot

While it may not work for everybody, this is my very specialized setup...

I have a seperate /www filesystem. /usr/home/<username>/public_html is softlinked to /www/<username>. Inside /www/<username> is a directory for every domain each user has under their account.

The reason for this is /usr/home/<username> is generally chmodded 700 (or 750 with a very restrictive group assignment), so apache (which is running as it's own user/group) would not access anything within the directory.

/www/<username> is generally 750 with the owner as <username> and group set to apache's group. The domain folders below this directory are generally 750, however they can be set 755 and group set to user's primary group (to allow CGI scripts run through suEXEC to run directly in the web root).

Apache's DocumentRoot is /www, and each <VirtualHost> is set DocumentRoot to /www/<username>/<domain>.