DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Ports and Packages

FreeBSD Ports and Packages Installation and upgrading of ports and packages on FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th September 2008
Port Guard

Default FreeBSD 7.0 + ATI Radeon HD2600PRO + mplayer ...

Hi, there!

I have a problem with my mplayer. I can play video, but only when using x11 video driver and the problem is that I can watch video only on a certain resolution - I have this little tiny window playing my video and when I want to switch to fullscreen it shows a black screen with this little tiny window in the center playing the video... Anyway I can't watch on fullscreen...

I suppose that this has something to do with my video card - ATI Radeon HD2600PRO and the lack of drivers for it or it could be something with my xorg.conf, but I wanted to ask for your opinion too. I know that I should get one nVidia video card, but... Does anyone have such a video card like mine?

So, what do you think - can I get my mplayer work on fullscreen or not..?

Thanks for any advices!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th September 2008
Administrator

ATI does not suport FreeBSD so you are using VESA driver, but MPLAYER with VESA uses X11 output (same as mplayer -vo x11) which does not allow scaling.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th September 2008
Port Guard

I'm using the radeonhd driver. On one of my other systems, which is also with an ATI video card uses the ati driver and everything works fine - OpenGL, direct rendering, etc.

I think that the radeonhd driver is not that good at the time, but I hope that it will be improved since AMD/ATI started to develop an open source driver for their cards, but time will show.

I'm running this system dual booting - WinXP/FreeBSD because I have to use some of the windows apps like AutoCAD, Pro Engineer, etc. and now it seems that I'll have to watch movies under Windows
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th September 2008
Spam Deminer

Both the radeon and radeonhd drivers support the HD2600, but in 2D only. And, even then, there is no acceleration.

If you want to scale a video when using the x11 output device in mplayer, you can add this line to your ~/.mplayer/config file:

zoom=yes

Since thsi is being done in software, though, this will increase CPU usage and may impact performance quite a bit.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th September 2008
Port Guard

Thanks, adamk! It works fine for me!