DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th February 2009
New User

Default Can't Print (Fresh First Time install) BSD newb

I'm new to FreeBSD, I have used a couple newb oriented Linux's. Before we even get to the heart of my query you'll need to know my setup.
I have one xp box that stores files and runs the printer. The printer is an hp laserjet 5, the printer is shared. This is the only printer and this printer really needs to stay on this make-shift nas for many reasons (not the least of which is that the "nas" is a via and uses 12 volts, it can run all day for nought). I had considered changing this old machine to a BSD or *nix nas but I have decided that do to the windows machines on the system (I am The unix user in this house so far), and because the nas must be accessed from an xbox with xbmc using no login.
I have installed Cups base and a package described as a backend for cups printing to windows machines. I'm using a Gnome interface even after rebooting the machine when I bring up Cups manager it says the server could not be contacted. I know from limited *nix experiance I have to set the system to start cups when the system is started if the package does not install that way but when I go to the system menu, administrator, services its all grayed out & I'm running in suicide mode (logged in as root and booting straight to the gui).
So then my question, is can I be helped?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th February 2009
Arp Constable

add cupsd_enable="YES" to your /etc/rc.conf file to start the cups daemon on system startup. To start the service after boot, as root: # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd start

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th February 2009
New User

Thanks TerryP
I did as you said and cups starts and I can "see" the printer now. When I go through to install it as a windows smb printer with the laserjet pcl driver it asks me to select a "ppd" file. I don't know what that is but having seached my system and on a hunch my wifes xp system the only ones around here are in .cab windows files. Clues of any kind would be appreciated.

PS - I tried setting it up as generic, it still asks for the ppd file. I canceled it at that point and printed a test page. Yeah, that was bad. One line of text. 5-6 blank pages. Thanks again.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2009
Spam Deminer

linuxprinting.org has driver information. type
"laserjet 5" "ppd file" into google and you'd get
lots of answers
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th February 2009
Arp Constable

PPD file = Postscript Printer Description file

it tells it a few things about how to work its magic for your model printer. For which, linuxprinting.org is usually the big kahunua of PPD file libraries.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Tags
new install, new user, print