DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st January 2009
NetBSD NetBSD is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Installing Xorg

Firstly: what's up with this "modular" stuff? Can you install modular vs monolithic Xorg/XF86?

Secondly: Am I blind or isn't there a page somewhere detailing the actual installation of Xorg/XF86 on NetBSD and not just this configuration?

I found http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_modular_Xorg and if I follow those instructions the build fails installing the server module:

"make: don't know how to make /usr/share/tmac/andoc.tmac"

"WARNING: *** Please consider adding c++ to USE_LANGUAGES in the package Makefile" (and the same for Fortran)



I've tried adding C++ and Fortran in various ways:
USE_LANGUAGES= c
USE_LANGUAGES+=c++
USE_LANGUAGES+=fortran

and

USE_LANGUAGES= c c++ fortran

Not sure if either are correct syntax but the build still fails.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also isn't there a way to update the pkgsrc tools or does this happen when you do a full update using "cvs update -dP" in /usr/pkgsrc?
Reply With Quote
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st January 2009
JMJ_coder JMJ_coder is offline
VPN Cryptographer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 464
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

NetBSD 4.0.1 comes with XFree86, while NetBSD 5.0_RC1 will ship with X.org.

If you don't need 3D acceleration and you are working with 4.0.1, then I don't see why you'd need to build X at all. Just install X in the normal installation. The generic 'ati' driver should work just fine.

If you are building 5.0_RC1, then you can build X.org when you build world. Download xsrc from CVS and add these lines to your /etc/mk.conf:

Code:
MKX11=yes
X11FLAVOUR=Xorg
X11_TYPE=modular
__________________
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
Reply With Quote
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2009
Oko's Avatar
Oko Oko is offline
Fsck Surgeon
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kosovo, Serbia
Posts: 762
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
Firstly: what's up with this "modular" stuff? Can you install modular vs monolithic Xorg/XF86?

Secondly: Am I blind or isn't there a page somewhere detailing the actual installation of Xorg/XF86 on NetBSD and not just this configuration?
XFree86 and XOrg until 6.9 release work as a single binary file (monolithic program) XOrg starting from 7.0 works as many independent programs (modules). If one of modules fails for whatever reason or is not needed it can be left out without the harm to the rest modules.

Best way to use X on NetBSD is to use XFree86 with 4.01 and in install it during the OS installation.

Starting from 5.0 version XOrg 7.3 or 7.4 will be default X window installation for NetBSD.

It is possible to use XOrg on earlier versions as well by compiling from source but not recommended unless you really needed it (specific driver or 3D). Building ports to use XOrg on version 4.01 would also require some
tweaking.
Reply With Quote
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2009
nihonto nihonto is offline
Fdisk Soldier
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 65
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
I found http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_modular_Xorg and if I follow those instructions the build fails installing the server module:

"make: don't know how to make /usr/share/tmac/andoc.tmac"

"WARNING: *** Please consider adding c++ to USE_LANGUAGES in the package Makefile" (and the same for Fortran)
As far as I know it is necessary that there is no running X on the system when you install Xorg. I did it a few weeks ago when I made a fresh install of NetBSD 4.0.1 on my laptop (i386). When I had to choose the installation sets, I ignored the x-sets. After the installation of the base-system I put

Code:
X11_TYPE=modular
in /etc/mk.conf and followed the Howto you have mentioned. It all went fine and xorg worked as it should.
Reply With Quote
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th February 2009
NetBSD NetBSD is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I found it was because I missed the text processing tools package on install.

Xorg is installed now but tries to load the glx module and fails.

Also I don't believe it is correctly recognizing my Radeon 4870X2 as fluxbox feels really slow.

What is glx for and how do I get it?


If this doesn't work I'll just get rid of Xorg and install the X sets from the disc.
Reply With Quote
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th February 2009
nihonto nihonto is offline
Fdisk Soldier
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 65
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
[...] If this doesn't work I'll just get rid of Xorg and install the X sets from the disc.
... or you give the "First Release Candidat for NetBSD 5.0" a try. Xorg is the default in it.
Reply With Quote
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th February 2009
adamk adamk is offline
Spam Deminer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 250
Thanked 5 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
I found it was because I missed the text processing tools package on install.

Xorg is installed now but tries to load the glx module and fails.

Also I don't believe it is correctly recognizing my Radeon 4870X2 as fluxbox feels really slow.

What is glx for and how do I get it?


If this doesn't work I'll just get rid of Xorg and install the X sets from the disc.
You are probably using the vesa driver, which has no 2D or 3D acceleration, and which does not support glx (either in hardware or software). The radeon and radeonhd drivers should support basic 2D modesettings, and 2D acceleration via shadowfb, but I have no idea if NetBSD packages a new enough version.

If you get it working with one of those two drivers, you should get glx support. It will still be software glx only since there's still no 3D acceleration.

Adam
Reply With Quote
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2009
NetBSD NetBSD is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

with XFree86 installed and using the "radeon" driver it says "no devices detected" and a "radeonhd" driver doesn't seem to exist. Xfce4 will run using the vesa driver.

Does this mean XFree86 doesn't support the 4870X2? How do I know the xf86-video-radeonhd module for x.org supports 4870X2?
Reply With Quote
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2009
NetBSD NetBSD is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

How would I upgrade to 5_RC1 using the binary sets?
Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009
adamk adamk is offline
Spam Deminer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 250
Thanked 5 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Apparently the version of XFree86 you have hasn't had support for the newer GPUs added. Xorg might, but we'd need to know what version of Xorg is available.

Adam
Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009
NetBSD NetBSD is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
How would I upgrade to 5_RC1 using the binary sets?
Can anyone please comment on this so I may try Xorg?

Do you simply extract the binary sets to / ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009
JMJ_coder JMJ_coder is offline
VPN Cryptographer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 464
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
Can anyone please comment on this so I may try Xorg?

Do you simply extract the binary sets to / ?

Thanks

ftp://ftp2.us.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/...etBSD%20System
__________________
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2009
JMJ_coder JMJ_coder is offline
VPN Cryptographer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 464
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
Can anyone please comment on this so I may try Xorg?

Do you simply extract the binary sets to / ?

Thanks
ftp://ftp2.us.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/...etBSD%20System
Alternatively, you could download the iso image from here, burn it to disc and install or upgrade through the normal installer program.
__________________
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2009
NetBSD NetBSD is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks.

I have installed 5.0_RC1 using the CD's to install all sets.

I've now noticed that there is no radeonhd driver as part of the X11 install from the cd. If it try to install /usr/pkgsrc/x11/xf86-video-radeonhd it complains that I'm not using modular xorg.

Does this mean I need to go the modular route? I thought the X11 install from the CD would include ALL drivers.

Also what's with having X11R6 as well as X11R7 in /usr ?
Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009
JMJ_coder JMJ_coder is offline
VPN Cryptographer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 464
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
Thanks.

I have installed 5.0_RC1 using the CD's to install all sets.

I've now noticed that there is no radeonhd driver as part of the X11 install from the cd. If it try to install /usr/pkgsrc/x11/xf86-video-radeonhd it complains that I'm not using modular xorg.

Does this mean I need to go the modular route? I thought the X11 install from the CD would include ALL drivers.

Also what's with having X11R6 as well as X11R7 in /usr ?
make sure that you've added the line: X11_TYPE=modular to your /etc/mk.conf file.


As for X11R7, that is the current version. The X11R6 directories are likely there as a left over and/or for programs expecting that directory hierarchy that haven't been updated yet. I might expect to see it gone by the time 5.0 stable is released.
__________________
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009
NetBSD NetBSD is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So there is no such thing as 'non-modular' Xorg on NetBSD?

I believe I tried putting X11_TYPE=modular in /etc/mk.conf but it complained for some reason about modular-xorg-server not being installed.

I will try again after work and post the build log.

Though why wouldn't xf86-video-radeonhd be installed already given that my X11 install was done via CD? If it is indeed modular then who chooses which modules are installed by default from the CD?
Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2009
JMJ_coder JMJ_coder is offline
VPN Cryptographer
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 464
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBSD View Post
So there is no such thing as 'non-modular' Xorg on NetBSD?

I believe I tried putting X11_TYPE=modular in /etc/mk.conf but it complained for some reason about modular-xorg-server not being installed.

I will try again after work and post the build log.

Though why wouldn't xf86-video-radeonhd be installed already given that my X11 install was done via CD? If it is indeed modular then who chooses which modules are installed by default from the CD?
Was it a fresh install or an upgrade? And did you select all of the X11 packages during installation (there's several)?
__________________
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)
Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009
NetBSD NetBSD is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This was a fresh install and I believe I chose 'Full installation'.

Here is the output when trying to install /usr/pkgsrc/x11/xf86-video-radeonhd:

http://rapidshare.com/files/199770219/outp.html

and my mk.conf does have X11_TYPE=modular in it.

Also xfce4 is working with vesa driver. I don't know if that proves I have all the X11 packages or not...

Last edited by NetBSD; 18th February 2009 at 11:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009
NetBSD NetBSD is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Alright don't ask what's happened but it's now trying to use the radeonhd driver. Unfortunately it says "RADEONHD: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:5:0:0) found"

Is this saying that the driver isn't up to date enough to recognize my 4870 X2?
Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2009
NetBSD NetBSD is offline
Port Guard
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If I set 'BusID "PCI:5:0:0" in my device section then it complains about PCI:4:0:0 but also says "Card information has invalid connector information" regarding PCI:5:0:0

Does any of this have to do with the fact it's a dual GPU card?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Xorg installation LordZ OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading 10 23rd November 2008 05:52 PM
Xorg freeze? xfel OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading 2 6th November 2008 09:37 PM
Is xorg necessary....... rex FreeBSD General 10 19th October 2008 03:05 PM
xorg bug? enterhaken FreeBSD Ports and Packages 9 17th July 2008 02:38 PM
Xorg sluggishness tanked FreeBSD Ports and Packages 2 17th May 2008 08:10 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content copyright © 2007-2010, the authors
Daemon image copyright ©1988, Marshall Kirk McKusick