DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th December 2009
New User

Exclamation FreeBSD 8.0 Network Performance

Hey All,

I just installed FreeBSD 8.0 on my home server and I noticed that since the install I have had reduced network performance. Before I did the move, I ran a ttcp test and then redid it after. Both installations were the same, same software and hardware and these are the results I got:

FreeBSD 7.2: 504.41 KB/s
FreeBSD 8.0: 273.17 KB/s

I have noticed that if I start streaming alot (Which worked fine on 7.2), the internet connection stalls. Its baffling me. I have talked to some of my IT Admin friends who have upgraded to FreeBSD 8.0 and in all cases they have noticed the exact same slowdown, but to varing degrees (One of my friends who runs a gigabit network was getting around 40 MB/s before and after was only getting around 20 MB/s so the performance decreate was by 50% ).

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there anything I can do to fix it or should I revert back to 7.2?

Note: When I reinstalled, I whiped the drive clean and reinstalled. I didnt use CVS to update it.

Thanks,
Karl
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th December 2009
Administrator

Set these by sysctl(8) and try again your test:
Code:
net.isr.direct=0
kern.random.sys.harvest.ethernet=0
kern.random.sys.harvest.interrupt=0
... but I would just send a BUG, default install should be tuned, at least to 7.2 level:
http://freebsd.org/send-pr.html

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th December 2009
New User

I made the changes, but it didnt seem to work. Infact it seemed to make the network stack unstable. It worked for about 5 minutes (My network speed went clsose to normal) but then it dropped down to a new now of 82 KB/s.

Decided to disable the sysctls, and these were the results:

3846.05 KB/sec
5080.51 KB/sec
82.51 KB/sec

This is with no network traffic asside from the test. I lodged a bug report with the dev's, hopefully it will be fixed soon

Thanks,
Karl
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th December 2009
Administrator

@khakkinen

I remember, that these setting helped some users, but you should send the BUG imho.

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th December 2009
New User

Sorry, I did to a BUG report using the form you sent me to Been a long day :P
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th December 2009
Arp Constable

I can't say about the rest of the world, but the only slow downs I've noticed with FreeBSD 8.0, is www/firefox35 stalls a lot more often :-P. Network performance over my ath wireless card has been perfect.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th December 2009
New User

I also see stalls in Firefox and video playback - mplayer a lot, vlc less, but still some. I am going to refresh all KDE4 settings which are somewhat broken and see if it makes any difference.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th December 2009
New User

I've been testing FreeBSD 8 at work to determine viability for replacing our current FreeBSD 7.2 server. I encountered similar issues to you khakkinen in terms of network performance.

Mine are running as guests under VMware ESXi 4 Update 1. My biggest issues has been disk I/O performance, but that seems to be regardless of which version of FreeBSD I'm running. I benchmarked each system using NUTTCP (network) and DD (disk).

My results averaged the following:

FreeBSD 7.2
  • 900Mbit/s network throughput
  • 14MB/s disk transfer speed

FreeBSD 8.0
  • 500Mbit/s network throughput
  • 11MB/s disk transfer speed

My network performance is down by a huge 45% and my already crippled disk performance is down another 20%. I've tried various tweaks (I was going to link you the tweaks I used, but apparently I'm not allowed) to improve performance, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th December 2009
New User

I might actually retract my results above.

The VM's I was running the tests on were ones I'd set up under VMware ESXi 3.5 update4. That version of VMware does not have any pre-sets for FreeBSD.

Today, I rebuilt my FreeBSD 8.0 VM from scratch, under VMware ESXi 4 Update 1. This time using the FreeBSD (64-bit) pre-set that's now available.

My results are currently averaging the following:

FreeBSD 8.0 built under ESXi 4
  • 910Mbit/ network throughput
  • 19MB/s disk write speed

Apologies if this is now distracting for the topic, I just wanted to clear that up.
Old 13th December 2009
UNIX lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
I can't say about the rest of the world, but the only slow downs I've noticed with FreeBSD 8.0, is www/firefox35 stalls a lot more often :-P. Network performance over my ath wireless card has been perfect.
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/bsd-guru/firefox-tip-35233

Maybe this is a solution for your problem ...
Arp Constable

Considering that I have browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash disabled (false), I would hope to GOD that Mozilla doesn't save the session data every browser.sessionstore.interval....... because if it still saves it under those conditions, we're taking hopeless levels of brain damage here.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
Old 17th December 2009
UNIX lover

Your citation is from Mary Poppins?